1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mandrake 8.1 Resize partition problems

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Bravo6, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bravo6

Bravo6 Thread Starter

Hi all:

I have Mandrake 8.1 installed on 2 HDs (a 4 gig and a 9 gig).
    sda and sdb respectively.

My sdb is divided into:
    /var/ftp - 163 Meg
    /var/www - 511 Meg
    /home - 4 Gig
    none - 3.8 Gig

I need to add the additional 3.8 gig to /home.

I go into Harddrake and tell it to unmount /home first (as it doesn't want to add to the partition without doing this) and it gives an error:
    error unmounting /home: Device or resource busy.

No one is on the machine. I have even rebooted and tried to do it from there.

It may be that my boot sequence does not allow Root to login, but has to log in after boot (and someone else logs in).

a) Is there a way for root to log in on boot so that I can try this (I am using gnome)?
    b) Why can't I unmount /home????

TIA

2. Bravo6

Bravo6 Thread Starter

Well.. Found my very old 4 gig DAT Tape drive. Will just back up the partition and redo it!
    :D

Thanks anyway!:cool:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice