1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mandrake 8.2 install problems

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by cwacura2001, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwacura2001

cwacura2001 Thread Starter

Hey guys i have an older emachine 366mhz with 64 megs of ram and i am trying to put mandrake 8.2 on it just to learn and expierement but during the install process when I choose use the entire disk it sayd that hda1 is no such device and i choose all the other partitioning and formatting options and i alwasy get no such device for hda1 but i have a 4 GB hard drive in on the master IDE and i already undid plug and play in the BIOS. Any thought s i am very new to linux and needs some pointers.

Thx

Chris

2. lynch

lynch

Did you check the hdd jumpers to see if they're set correctly?Is there anything on the drive?How does the bios see the hdd?Check bios and make sure it's set to auto.
    HTH:)
    lynch

3. cwacura2001

The jumpers on the HDD are set to master or single drive and this is the only HD i have in the machine it is a 4.3 GB SeaGate. The bios is set to auto detect and sees the drive as primary master with PIO set to 4 and it looks correct to me. I have plug and play disabled on the BIOS which another linux site told me to do. As for stuff being on the drive their might be a partition or windows files left from the windows 98 that was on the HD before. Should I delete all partions using fdisk and then format the drive before attempting to put linux on. I thought that linux would actrually do that? Thx for any further help lynch. Could it be possible that my installation cd's are messed up. Also before it gets to the install screen about partions i get a wierd error that says in, second stage install, this message comes up three times before disappearing saying "gzip: stdin: Invalid compressed data -- format violated" This goes away but just throwing it in in case it helps.

Thx again

Chris

4. lynch

lynch

It sure sounds like it could be the CDs.Are they burned from downloaded ISOs?Did you do the MD5 checksums?Maywant to try another download if that's the case.Or if you bought the retail version,exchange them for another set.
    lynch

5. cwacura2001

Ok I think I will re download the new 9.0 mandrake linux and give that a try. Another test I am going to do is to try this 8.2 install on another pc and see if i get the same errors. I already have swaped out another hard drive into my 366 mhz and it encountered the error. I will post back any other results that i have.

Thx for the help

Chris

6. cwacura2001

Alrighty I took out all the partitions and swaps and made the whole partition linux and it is named /. IT gets by the formating and partitioning but then gives me this error:

nothing found while parsing /mnt/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.disc 1 download edition installation cd (x86) (cdrom1).cz

Does this mean that it could not find my hard drive on the list on cd one.

Or could this mean that my cd 1 is missing some files that i need in order to support devices such as hard drives etc.

Thx for any help.

p.s. I am trying to wait to download the new mandrake ISO's until the end of the month since i have a bandwidth cap. And together they will be like almost 2 gigs right?

7. cwacura2001

I am starting to get teh mandrake 9.0 images but dont understand the whole deal about checking the images using MD5 checksums. What exactly is it and how do i use it. Does it check that the ISO's turned out to be the correct size. Is it a program or something i download and run? And if so how exactly do I do it :)..

Thx for any help for the newb

Chris

8. lynch

lynch

Had to hunt down an old thread.:)
    Check this out.
    lynch

9. cwacura2001

Great link Lynch, you are the man. That was very informative. Thx for all your help and hopefully I will not be as bothersome i n the future. Once again thx for your patience with a noob :) I will post back when i get teh ISO's done downloading and then I will let you know the status of my install problems and if i solved them.

P.s. Great forum

Chris

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice