1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mandrake 9.0 installation (dual boot with W2K)

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by mich1891, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mich1891

mich1891 Thread Starter

Mandrake 9.0 installation (dual boot with W2K)

I am trying to install Mandrake 9 on my PC. Windows 2000 Professional is already installed on it, so I am trying to configure it to dual boot.

However... I have partitioned the drive (using Partition Magic 8.0)and started installation of Linux, but the computer hangs whenever it reaches midway in the installation of the System Packages - that is whenever there are about 15 minutes left for those packages. It does not always hang at that point, sometimes it may stop when there are 10 seconds left...or when there are 24 minutes left. The point is that it stops at soem point in the installation of the packages.

What happens is that the mouse does not work...and after a awhile I hear three short beeps from the PC (I have no idea what the beeps are for). Also...I have to restart the entire installation when this happens, that is reformat the partition, choose keyboard layout...and everything else.

I have been thinking that it may be a hardware conflict...but the system is fairly new. Celeron Processor (1.7) with Asus motherboard, Award Bios. The Windows partition has FAT32 file system and I set up Mandrake to use ext3.

Please advise me as to what may be the problem...and/or how do I solve it. Any help will be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks
    :confused:

2. lynch

lynch

It could be a case of it being too new.You might want to check the Mandrake Hardware Database to see if your hardware is supported.It's more common nowadays for the hardware to be supported than not.
    HTH
    lynch

3. trevor1

trevor1

maybe bad cds
    did u check the MD5SUM

4. irs01u

irs01u

I have experienced almost exactly the same problem whilst installing Mandrake 9.0 (all except for the 3 beeps).

My system is as follows:

Athlon XP 1500+
    ECS K7VTA3 Motherboard (Award BIOS)
    512Mb DDR RAM
    Philips CDRW
    Toshiba DVD
    40Gb HD
    Windows 98 OS

As far as I know all my hardware is supported and I know the disks work because a friend of mine managed to install Mandrake 9.0 on his system from my disks, with no problem.

I get the same errors during the package installation and eventually the installation program just does nothing, although I can still move the mouse cusror.

IAN

5. irs01u

irs01u

I managed to track down my problem to dodgy RAM in my computer. I swaped my RAM with that from another computer and i had no problems.

This explains a lot of other problems I had been having with my computer that I could not explain!

IAN

6. trevor1

trevor1

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!