Mandrake 9.0, Nvidia GeForce4 MX420, Out of Range Frequency!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnwhite71

Graphics Card: NviDia GeForce4 MX420
Monitor: Dell E772c (1024x768)
Operating System 1:Windows Xp (NTFS)
Operating System 2:Mandrake Linux 9.0

Problem: Installed Mandrake on a second partition. Error "Out of Range Frequency."
Display Settings incorrect, cannot configure them correctly, attempted an update with a patch install from Mandrakes Website. Still did not fix the problem.
Question: First time user of Linux. Ignorant to the terminology, as well as inputting codes. Haven't the slightest clue. Need detailed step by step kindergarden linux level explicit help on configuring correctly?
Question: I read that Mandrake can run in NTFS format. My goal is to have it run side by side with Windows Xp, though on a second partition. Therefore, having both recognize the other rather than one of the partitions being hidden.
Question: Also, I need help as far as installing other software while using Linux? The process is not as simple as simply putting in the CD to AutoRun/Install.
Question: Finally, I am concerned whether or not the installation of other LINUX drivers running with Windows drivers (on a seperate partition) will damage my hardware, confusing my system, therefore destroying my system? Since the install/uninstall/format/ of Mandrake my computer has experienced additional issues even now that it has been completely uninstalled.
Please reply intelligently with competent skills. Simply what is the solution? Vague answers need not reply. Please Email me with "LINUX???" in the heading to: [email protected]

Problem: Installed Mandrake on a second partition. Error "Out of Range Frequency."
Display Settings incorrect, cannot configure them correctly, attempted an update with a patch install from Mandrakes Website. Still did not fix the problem.
Ifyou reinstall MDK,make sure you have the video chipset and monitor refresh rates written down when you get to the x configuration part of the install.You also could get the latest drivers from nvidia afterwards.

Question: I read that Mandrake can run in NTFS format. My goal is to have it run side by side with Windows Xp, though on a second partition. Therefore, having both recognize the other rather than one of the partitions being hidden.
Mandrake can read ntfs -writing to it is still in development.You wont see MDK from the XP side unless your on a samba network.You can install samba after getting your video working.Samba uses the cifs format to make a win/Linux network.

Question: Also, I need help as far as installing other software while using Linux? The process is not as simple as simply putting in the CD to AutoRun/Install.
This is where XP and Linux really differ. Mandrake is RPM-based,so when you installed MDK you installed the rpmdb(database) which has the info for every package on the CD set you got with MDK.Use drakpackage or kpackage to install or remove programs.You can also use the command line(CLI) at a terminal to install software but you have more important stuff going on right now.
,so that can be learned later.

Question: Finally, I am concerned whether or not the installation of other LINUX drivers running with Windows drivers (on a seperate partition) will damage my hardware, confusing my system, therefore destroying my system? Since the install/uninstall/format/ of Mandrake my computer has experienced additional issues even now that it has been completely uninstalled.
Your not running both Oss at the same time:when Linux is running,XP is sleeping.;)And vice versa.Linux wont damage any of your XP stuff.It can only read the XP partitions.What are these issues?Still have a boot screen for MDK? Do a fdisk/mbr or run repair mode from xp cd and do a fixmbr.That's usually the only problem encountered after removing Linux from a dual-boot setup.
Please reply intelligently with competent skills. Simply what is the solution? Vague answers need not reply. Please Email me with "LINUX???" in the heading to: [email protected] [/B]
I hope my answers meet the above criteria.:)Hard solutions arent always small enough to post back with,PM or e-mail.I dont e-mail answers to people because this is a forum,not a mailing_list.And I will no longer answer PMs that try to continue a thread privately,except to politely ask you to return to the forum if you have further questions.This forum is open so others may benefit from the solutions and answers submitted here.
I would suggest further reading and searching in addition to posting here will show the greatest benefit.
HTH
lynch

johnwhite71

Bravo! Thank you for your sincere attempt to answer my questions.
Back to the "Frequency Out Of Range" issue.
I have not even been able to get past the error screen to even find out or attempt any of the offered solutions.
Forgive my serious ignorance, but I am a newbie to Linux. To resolve this issue (frequency out of range) I attempted the steps below, none of which have worked:
1. Installed update patch from Mandrakes website by following their instructions to begin install, type F1, then insert floppy with patch on it, then type in patch to install it.
2. Went through installation, during display setup, still recieved same error "Frequency Out of Range!"
3. Clicked on Custom Display Setup, chose Nvidia GeForce 4 generic, chose display settings similarly relative to my monitor, still recieved the same error.

RedHat Linux automatically recognizes, and easily sets up, but unfortunately it does not run next to NTFS, only Fat32 can be recognized, so it is not feasible to my taste.

Question As mentioned I am ignorant to the simplest procedures in Linux. I would not even know how to update the driver, and have not the slightest clue which driver to pick from NviDia though it lists a few related to RedHat, and different versions of Linux, none being Mandrake 9.0.
Question Please explain how to setup the display configuration before attempting to install on the second partition. I need an explicit step by step guidance.
Once I can get the program to work I will then try and tackle the other solutions offered.

Let me do some checking around(I use ATI cards:) )on the right nVidia kernel driver.The GLX rpm is okay.
I'll get back to ya;)
lynch

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online