1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mandrake sytem tools??

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by kraddler2003, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kraddler2003

kraddler2003 Thread Starter

another question does mandrake 9.1 have sytem tools like scan disk,clean disk and defrag like windows ??if not where can i go to download software for mandrake other then the mandrake site??wheres a good site to down load linux freeware??

2. lynch

lynch

I think we can help a little more if you describe the system you installed Mandrake on:
    Hardware,especially,video card, monitor and mouse.
    Also what the partition scheme is:are you running a dual-boot setup or a stand-alone Linux install?
    lynch

3. aspicer

aspicer

http://www.salmar.com/pipermail/wftl-lug/2002-March/000603.html

Linux filesystem, in general, should never require defrag. "fsck" would be your equivalent to Scandisk. If you shut down your system uncleanly (or it crashes or the power goes off [you didn't have an UPS]) you will see the FSCK - File System Check happening.

Newer Ext3 Journaling Filesystem can even usually skip FSCK because it recovers the journal and keeps on working. Ext3 will give you an option to run FSCK .... but on modern large drives this can take a long time.

4. lynch

lynch

Good link,aspicer.Thanks:).
    Now,I wonder where kraddler2003 went?
    lynch

5. aspicer

aspicer

Thanks., I found it myself ... on google.com ;-) I just needed a little better explanation about defrag not being needed in Linux than I could muster from my own memory.

Did you scare that guy kraddler2003? You should stop using such big words as "Hardware" and "Video Card" .... you'll scare people away ;-)

What's a good site for Linux Freeware? What do you think?

http://freshrpms.net/index-main.html (if you can get past the political statement on their main page about software patents).

Maybe he would like "Apt" ?

Or Freshmeat ?

or rpmfind.net ?

6. lynch

lynch

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice