1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

manually connecting laptop to internet

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by timberwolf90, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timberwolf90

timberwolf90 Thread Starter

I have a Gateway ML6703 Notebook. It has the following:

Intel® Pentium® dual-core Mobile Processor T2060 @ 1.60GHz
    80GB Hard Drive
    1024MB DDR2 Memory
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-bit)

I am currently on my home pc which has an Arris Touchtone Cable Modem CM450 to connect to the internet. ( I have Cable internet) When I first got the laptop, in March of '07, I would plug in a USB cord from the cable modem to the laptop and the internet would work. I don't know what happened but now when I plug in a USB cord, the mouse would blink and then nothing would happen. I even tried Ethernet, but it would just flash colors at the end of the cord (indicating it connected to SOMETHING) and that's all.

I contacted arris.com and they referred me to http://www.arrisi.com/support/usb/index.asp
    They said at the link that "USB Drivers for Windows Vista running in 32-bit mode is included with Windows Vista. There is no downloaded necessary."

I tried installing the driver for the 64-bit Vista CM450 and when I plugged in the ethernet plug, the laptop asked for a driver. YA! Anyways, Arris Touchtone Device showed up in Device Manger. I updated it with the 64-bit Vista CM450 driver. I don't know if that helped or not...

But still no internet when I go to "Connect To" then click on "Broadband Connection" click Connect". It says Connecting to Broadband Connection" then comes with the error of "Failed to connect to Broadband Connection"
    I also noticed that when I have USB conncted, and Arris showing up in Device Manager, I see the two little screens flashing and when I put the mouse over it, it says "Currently connected to: Unidentified network. Access: Local only" *See attachment for more clarification*.

So, what I am looking for is a correct driver for the cable modem, or another way to connect the internet. I don't want to have a buy a Wireless Router, but if I have to, I'll go out and buy one.

Feel free to ask questions, I'll try my best to clarify anything I've said.

-TimberWolf90

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm rather confused. It sounds like you installed a USB cable modem driver for a 64-bit Vista on your 32-bit Vista to try to use the ethernet????

When you switch from one computer to another connected to the modem, or switch between USB and ethernet, do you power cycle the modem?

3. timberwolf90

Sorry for the confusion. I installed the USB driver for 64-bit on my 32-bit vista laptop to just see what would happen. (maybe vista would accept it. I don't know...)

I want to use USB on my laptop because the link that arris.com gave me only had USB drivers. I have also looked around the internet for the ANY CM450driver, but they all are USB...

If I had to choose between the two, I would choose USB.

I haven't "power cycled" the modem when I switch from the home pc to the laptop. What do you mean by "power cycle"? I have restarted the laptop with the USB cord in it. Still have the "Unidentified network. Access: Local only" statement and failing to connect to Broadband...

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Power cycle means to unplug for at least 30 seconds. Necessary step!

The only modem driver you need is for a USB connection. With 32 bit Vista stick with the included driver for your modem. The 64 bit one clearly is different.

I assume your ethernet adapter is integrated, which means if you need a driver for it you get it from your PC (or, second choice, motherboard) manufacturer's web site.

5. timberwolf90

Great idea! I tried it and got the laptop to work with Ethernet. YA! *See attachment again*

Then I tried going back to my pc and found that couldn't connect to the internet. UGH!!
    Anyways, I know that in order to get internet on the laptop I have to restart the computer or else everything gets messed up. I will try to get back to you about my home pc and I'll try on working with getting internet back on that one.

Thanks

-TimberWolf90

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you get tired of the routine of switching from one PC to the other connecting to the modem get a router. :)

Depending on your shopping skills and patience you can pick up a decent one for anywhere from $5 - $40. Some examples.

7. timberwolf90

I will look into a getting a router. Thanks for the input.

I did a power cycle on the home pc, and the internet works fine on both laptop and pc. YA!

Again, THANKS! :D

-TimberWolf90

8. timberwolf90

Every time I want to connect to the internet I have to unplug the Cable Modem and wait a minute or so. Then boot up the computer (laptop or home pc) with the Ethernet cord in its slot.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to bypass that? It's really annoying.

-TimberWolf90

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    See post # 6. :)

In case you didn't understand the first paragraph of post # 4: you have to power cycle the modem when switching the device connected to it.

10. timberwolf90

I did what you said. I power cycled each computer. Internet works fine. It's just a hassle. :(

And to just be clear, I have to power cycle every time I want internet on each computer. Right? Is there no other way? If not, then I'll get a router (not immediately though).

-TimberWolf90

11. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

You may want to try this.

With the laptop and modem connected by USB, unninstall the modem in Device Manager. Turn the laptop off, wait about 30 seconds then turn it back on. When the Hardware Wizard comes up, let it search for and install the drivers for the "new" hardware.

12. timberwolf90

I tried that and it worked! YA!

-TimberWolf90

13. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Glad it did.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!