TehBoss

To start off, I have been a Help Desk Professional for over 20 years and a software tester for 15 years after that. I know what I'm doing (for the most part) and usually can find the answer myself due to my extensive Google-Fu.

That being said, I'm trying to repair a Windows XP (that was on a drive and now is a VM) that crashed a long time ago. I have only kept it around as I have certain items of software that I no longer have the installations for but I would still like to be able to run. The issue is with the Registry. I have done the following -
1. Ran chkdsk /f to see if the registry files are recoverable
2. Attempted manual recovery of registry from all possible backup areas -which got past the system, but now I have a SAM issue through lsass.exe in addition to the write protection error and the insufficient system resources to load the api. I have 20GB available on the VM and could modify it easily to make more, but I'm certain it's not necessary.
3. Have attempted in-place upgrade of XP with the above result continuing.
4. Am now looking for the following help - if possible

I have loaded the image into another fresh XP (with no updates) VM as a secondary drive and can load any of the registry hives into the clean XP. They seem fine and load. Is there any way to identify the corruption or what is causing the failure in any of these hives in order to manually correct the registry and attempt to boot in order to finish the in-place upgrade?

Files and specific messages can be provided, but I've done everything I can at this point, short of manually modifying the registry, and I wouldn't know where to start in order try to correct the issue.

You do realize that the average registry on Windows XP is between 50 to 100 megabytes ... so let's say, 75 megabytes. If you were to print that out, the stack of 8-1/2x11" standard sheet of paper would be right at 245 feet tall, or roughly as tall as a 24 story building? And you want us to manually go through that to find the character(s) that might be different?

Just saying ....

TehBoss

Of course I realize. However, I don't think the issue is in the Software or the System (70MB and 3.3MB respectively) as the errors are specific to SAM (possibly Security) but there appears to be no editable data in those. I've only ever used Linux boots to adjust them. They are not write protected but it appears to have an error when modifying even though the write works. For example, after the specific error 'Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error "the media is write protected"' I booted with a Linux Password NT, unlocked the Admin account and cleared the password. I then shutdown and booted with XP CD and chose the (R)epair option. When it asked which Windows installation to access (being only 1) I chose 1 and the password was blanked. I then checked the file properties of both SAM and Security and they were both set to Archive.

Original boot said System was missing or corrupt. I restored all registry files from repair. Was giving me the following error constantly - "A write operation was attempted to a volume after it was dismounted." This is when I tried doing the in-place upgrade, which resulted in the above error alternating with "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API."

There is no restore point so all I have to work with is the original, repair, and the version of the files that the in-place upgrade created. I have tried various combinations of sam and security to attempt to get the upgrade to continue with no luck. Everything changed except sam and security

These are the following file sizes for each -

Original
default 430,080
sam 262,144
security 262,144
software 71,393,280
system 6,512,640

Repair
default 430,080
sam 32,768
security 57,344
software 71,704,576
system 3,338,240

Windows in-place upgrade
default 524,288
sam 32,768
security 57,344
software 71,827,456
system 3,407,872

I have checked my free disk space. Also checked pagefile.sys, which doesn't exist on the drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online