1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Manually shutting down PC by power button.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Shorte85, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shorte85

Shorte85 Thread Starter

Hello, I was told to start a new topic on this and I'm doing so now. :)

Every so often, when I restart my PC, when it comes to the blue screen that says HP Invent and so forth where it gives you the options to select F10 and etc it gets stuck there. I'd wait about 5 minutes, and then I would have to do a manual shutdown by holding down the power button on the tower. I noticed this starting a while back, and didn't think anything of it til it has happened a few more times. But after I do the first manual shutdown and turn it back on, it does it again and normally starts up with no problems the third time.

I don't know what is causing this, and was hoping someone could tell me how to diagnose what is going on.

Thanks, and I appreciate any help. :)

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

seems to be a fairly common problem (with a google search) some say bad hdd, and some are able to clear it up by removing the cmos battery for a 1/2 hour (thats what it said) heres some instructions.. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

good luck

3. Shorte85

Shorte85 Thread Starter

I am no way in shape or form a PC geek, I know my way on the PC pretty well but when it comes to playing around with the guts of the PC I step away.... far away. lol

I was kind of hoping there was another way to know what is going on. But apparently there isn't?

4. kenny111111

kenny111111

you can try to unplug the pc, and hold the power button for 10 seconds or so but don't think its the same..

its really just as easy as changing a watch battery..google it theres a million videos prolly!

good luck..

ps, that may not work anyway but its a start

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice