1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Manufacturer's Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tommy2k8, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 255 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3839 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 363948 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M2N68-AM SE2
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated and Enabled

I brought the above computer 2 and a half years ago, with Windows 7 installed. Now that I have purchased an upgrade to Windows 8 (which also can be used as a clean installation) can I install Win 8 and then install the manufacturers copy on a virtual machine?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    An OEM Windows (my guess as to what you mean by "manufacturers copy") is locked to the original computer. A virtual machine is a different computer.

3. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Thread Starter

It is - if thats the case, if I had to rebuild W7 because of a major infection or something, can't I use the OEM CD to install 7 on the VM, after doing a clean install of 8?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can use the installation DVD to install Windows 7, but the problem is activation. You need a new license to activate the system on the VM.

5. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Thread Starter

If I do a clean installation of Windows 8, with my Windows 8 product key I had emailed to me, can't I use the W7 product key for the VM?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you bought an "upgrade" (discounted price) version of Windows 8 then it replaces the qualifying XP, Vista or Windows 7. You are not to use the "old" version after installing an "upgrade" version.

If you bought a full-price (not an "upgrade") Windows 8 then you can transfer the Windows 7 license to another computer--including a VM--if and only if the Windows 7 is a retail version. An OEM (pre-installed on a new PC by Acer, Dell, HP, etc.) or a System-Builder's (installed on a custom computer built for sale) version is locked to the original computer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice