1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Many duplicate mapped drives in 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Blinkin, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blinkin

Blinkin Thread Starter

Has anyone seen where a drive on a 2000 server gets mapped many times over on a 2000 machine? For example, a desktop running 2000 has drives H: through Z: mapped to a drive named 'data' on the 2000 server. As I understand it, when the desktop is turned on, those drives aren't mapped. Just a few get mapped as expected (E: through G: for example). The other ones (H: through Z:) become mapped to 'data' after a short period of time while using the computer. Any ideas? Does it sound like Windows is doing this (via a setting or script) or would it be more likely some client software that is running on the desktop but access data on the server?

I did do a few searches on google and this forum but did not get any good results.

Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

2. Blinkin

Blinkin Thread Starter

Does anyone know if this could be related to backups? When I look at the properties of the mapped drives, there's a "Backup" tab and when I click on it, I notice numbers (files, sizes, etc) increasing on it (as if it were re-counting the disk usage).

3. Blinkin

Blinkin Thread Starter

I hope no one minds the bump, but I'm really at a loss. I noticed that in the evening (when the machine was idle for hours), all the connections were lost (little red x in the icon). I can then click on the mapped drive and it reconnects. I'm fairly new to 2000 server. Where do I look for scripts/settings that automatically map drives? Is it a startup script or a scheduled task or do they only re-connect when you try to access the data?

4. mel-p

mel-p

I've seen a similar thing in Windows XP and have found this article because I am searching for a solution.

One article that I did read some time ago on the web suggested that it has to do with shortcuts that are pointed to files on mapped drives. Apparently, if the drive letter has been mapped elsewhere any previous shortcuts that pointed to that mapped drive will mapped the next available drive letter.

Sounds strange but apparently true. Would be nice if someone could confirm it.

I thought I had it beaten but it has occurred again. One thing I did notice is that if I looked at the user's Start>Documents menu a history of previously opened files are listed, some of these were pointed to mapped drives so I was wondering if these were the culprits. There's also all the other shortcuts spread around the user's PCs that will need checking.

That's about all I can remember about the article and I can't find it again :0(

5. Blinkin

Blinkin Thread Starter

Thanks! I look into that as well.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/284242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice