1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Many Issues.. Installing, Running, booting.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Chewy_Solo, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chewy_Solo

Chewy_Solo Thread Starter

I am actualy posting this for a friend seeing as i am helping him with computer issues.

First of his issues, the one i came over for, he cant insall Call of Duty 4 he ges the following error: "error -1603. Windows Installer cant intsall the program" or something like that, also before that one you get.. "error 1234. The path ? contains an invalid character" call of duty 2, etc. (not all acivision games) yet some do work ie: Rise of nations, roller coaster tycoon 2, Battlesations Midway, World of Warcraft.

He also has issues running some programs, ie: Firefox, Eudemons Online, Limewire, Prison Tycoon, Poker Drop, Ventrilo. (they dont open or dont patch and manualy patching also fails)

Genneraly slow computer, (he has pretty much the same setup i same cpu etc) and i noticed.

Freezes during boot sometimes about 1/4 the time, before Windows boots, during option to enter bios and such.

I am currently running a virus scan, i will report on how that works out.

He may need a BIOS update, seeing as he has Pheonix 1.1 and i have 6.****.

Im attatching the dxdiag.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Sponsor

3. Orumph

Orumph

This PC should not be slow by any means.

Sounds like a memory issue, or bad OS install. Run Memtest86 or Windows Memory Diag (use the extended diag by hitting "t" when it starts) for about 6 hours or over night. If no errors, then reload the OS.

If you still have problems, after all updated drivers have been installed, then it's a probable mobo issue.
    And MAYbe, maybe a bad cpu.

4. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

this happened to my old computer, first I opened the box up took the handy air compressor and blew the whole thing out (it was very dirty), then did a fresh install. Try it, no need to blow out if you just got it. Good Luck!

5. Chewy_Solo

i will run those tests sometime just need to get over there, and the memory daig, and for the fresh install before we do it i will need to contact Dell make sure we dont need to reinstall all the dell crap (i hope not) because i dont want to void his waranty.

6. aliciajames

aliciajames

Well i am also having most of these problems. My sound card is not detected by the vista as well. I have pheonix mother board, can u suggest anything???????

7. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

More info on the Motherboard & sound card please, also make sure it is plugged in all the way, when I bought my new computer, I had to reinsert my digital camera card expansion bay.

8. Chewy_Solo

can this please not be used as a thread for other peoples issues? thanks i just want responses on these issues pelase.

9. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

Sorry, wasnt paying attention when I opened the thread, aliciajames make a new thread.

Chew give us some more info when u get those tests done huh.

Thanks.

Also, do you think it might have to do with the video card, it is vista remember?

10. Chewy_Solo

i dont think so, there isnt any graphical errors or artifacts or anything, the chances are its a issue with vista or RAM, my guesses, im gonna head over there in about 45 mins to run memtest

11. kebo9520

kebo9520

Vista Home premium, continually locks up, especially when using anything to do with sound or video

12. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

To be honest I am currently using Home Premium, very very rarely do I run to any problems then incompatible programs, usually it locks up when Im doing to much @ once, but it is because I only have 1 gig of ram. Anyways, ya maybe it a RAM issue if not, it must definitely be a OS issue, fresh install might just do the trick.

13. kebo9520

kebo9520

thanks, I have 2 gig ram and have run a memory test and no probs there, so it may be incompatible programs, so I guess I just have to uninstall things to see if it helps other wise I may have to end up doing a fresh install.

14. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

Curious, do you have an anti-virus on the computer, if so which one?

15. Chewy_Solo

well this issue is fixed, i just did a reformat... but now my pc is messed up... starting a thread...

16. Orumph

Orumph

You will not void the warranty by reloading the OS. If you can find an OEM disk, that would be better, won't have all the Dell Bloatware in it. Since software issues are not covered under warranty from any company other than MS, you won't void your warranty. Other words, your warranty only covers hardware. (correct me if I'm wrong)

That is not to say that, IF Dell is willing to help with software issues, they will give you a hassle about using the OEM disk and not Dell's factory disk. But most of the time, they will end up telling you to reload the OS anyway. Usually an unnecessary step. That's because the BullSh**-tech on the other end isn't allowed to take a lot of time and can only go through their scripts till they are told to reload the os.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/653070