Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Many problems, getting worse..

870 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  SUEOHIO 
#1 ·
Old, OLD Sony Viao.. been a great workhorse...Problems started with it not booting into XP unless it rested overnight! (Just like me I guess) Real problem is that I need this machine badly to teach classes.
I uploaded all the new drivers on Sony site.
. As long as I use it in the morning it boots.. EXCEPT now the keys are producing errors. Not all, just some.
One forum mentioned problems with bad memory. I have sent for a Memtest disk.. hope that will help confirm.. If so, its a doable fix.
Sony doesn't seem to have a keyboard driver .. I updated drivers for Processor, and Bios.
Any other suggestions??
I don't want to buy a old XP laptop but that may be my only choice.

#3 ·
Oh, is this embarrassing... but an excellent LESSON again. Seems I have to keep learning them..over and over..
When I went back to roll over back to before I had updated my drivers, Bios, etc.. THERE WERE NO PREVIOUS Restore Points.. I'd been HAD... by a nasty Bug... that had got in behind my MalwareBytes..
I ran a scan.. and sure enough... there is was.. PUM.***
Do the SIMPLEST THING FIRST! I've wasted a week of frustration all because I was looking for the worst..
Sorry.. thank you... this thread is CLOSED.

#5 ·
You're right.. Still having trouble with the keyboard... Apparently the forum didn't get my reply that I could not log in because of the keyboard, so I'm going from that computer to this one. not sure I can get to a log.

#6 ·
How old is this laptop? if its more than say 7 or 8 years old it might be time to retire it. as far as finding laptops with windows xp on them they need not be very old at all. ive bought quite a few laptops that came with windows xp pro and they were less than 3 years old in most cases or had drivers available for that model that i could put xp in them and i was good to go.

#9 ·
You're welcome. You could back up any important documents, photos etc. from the old laptop and reformat it and then reload the drivers, get SP3 and all MS critical updates, which would surely enhance the performance, and it could still be useful as a second or backup machine should something happen to the new one you get. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.