1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Many programs aren't working

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Lauryxy, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lauryxy

Lauryxy Banned Thread Starter

Hi, this is my first post and im not sure if this is the right forum for my problem.
    So I have this 6 year old laptop, I recently did a clean windows XP reinstall for it. After installing Internet, Graphics and Audio drivers, some programs still don't work. They either have graphics problems or they crash at start. Some don't even start up, although they are in the processes list in task manager
    They work perfectly in my other computer also running XP.

Why don't they work with this one?

If you need any additional details then just ask, but also tell me how to find them.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Go here and follow the instructions to post your system details so we can see what we are dealing with.

Please also state if you have installed all the chipset drivers. Was the install from a genuine microsoft disc or a Recovery disc from the manufacturer of the laptop?

Start by running tests on your memory and hard drive, as follows:

3. Lauryxy

That SysInfo gave me this
    Going to do the HD test you suggested, I have already tested the memory sticks before and the good one is in. And I did clean everything back then.

4. Lauryxy

The diagnostics CD I downloaded from Western Digital didn't work, it gave me an error about some license file not being in the same directory as some other file. They were both there except that "other file" had a 5 in the end of its name. Is there any other diagnostics that I can use?
    Tomorrow I'll post a picture of the error it gave when I have photoshopped it enough to make it readable.

I installed Internet driver, Graphics driver and Audio driver, isn't that it? What install was from genuine ms disc or recovery? Drivers or the whole Windows? I installed Windows from a genuine MS disk (big thank you to those people who forgot to put the recovery CD in the box). And I downloaded drivers through another computer.

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

I've not come across that problem with the diagnostics before, it runs in DOS so will not need to relate to anything on the hard drive. You did get the ISO for CD and not the diagnostics for Windows? It needs to be burned to a CD with an ISO burner and the PC booted from it, all the instructions are in my guide.

You should look in the Device Manager and check for any yellow warnings next to devices. There will be a full collection of drivers available from the manufacturer's site which will include the chipset. If your stuck give me the make and model number of the PC.

6. Lauryxy

I did download the CD one and I did burn it on the CD, I don't know what else should I do.
    In Device manager there are Ethernet Controller, Modem device on High Definition Audio Bus and 2x PCI FLASH Memory.

My computer is Ordi Enduro 2720B. For any information check Ordi.ee.
    Unfortunately my computer isn't there (no wonder since it is 6 years old).
    From that site I didn't get any drivers.

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

The programs that are failing to run after reinstalling XP, are they in another partition or have you reinstalled these programs since doing the reinstall of Windows?

For the problem with the hard drive test, first try this instead:
    1. Click on Start > type cmd in the search box and enter. At that C: prompt, type chkdsk /f exactly as written here with the gap before the slash, then hit Enter.
    2. You will then see a message "Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"
    Type Y for yes, and press enter. Then reboot the computer into normal mode. Chkdsk will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 3 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The chkdsk process may take an hour or more to finish and may appear to freeze which is normal.)
    3. When the Check Disk is done, it will finish loading Windows.

4. Go to Start > Run and type: eventvwr.msc /s , and hit Enter.
    When Event Viewer opens, click on "Application", then scroll down to "Winlogon" and double-click on it.
    This is the log created after running Checkdisk.
    Copy and paste it into your next post.

8. Lauryxy

It gave me this. Also is it a bad thing that it took me like 1 minute or even less instead of an hour or more?

I reinstalled the programs after formatting the hard drive and installing windows.

Also a little unrelated prob with my other computer, I'm trying to install a gfx card for it. I just can't find that screw or the hole that screw is supposed to go into according to the tutorials. Can I just skip that step, also, i'm trying to install it because my little brother damaged the other one, so I can't uninstall the drivers, is it OK to skip that part too since the old one is nVidia GeForce 6100 and the new is 6200/6600 (don't remember which one)?

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

That is a good result from the disk check.

You didn't answer my question:

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Your system specs show a motherboard number which matches a Clevo laptop model number, the drivers are available from here: http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/e-services/Download.asp. From a couple of other search results I do believe this is the same PC.

11. Lauryxy

The programs that are failing were installed after reinstalling windows. And they are not on another partition, since I have only 1 partition. Does that answer your question?

I never figured it could be Clevo laptop, I didn't buy it from Clevo.

12. Mark1956

Mark1956

Clevo sell there computers under various different brand names.

I see you edited an earlier post, it's always best to only add new posts so any further information is not missed when a helper comes back to view the thread.

Now I would suggest you run the memory test as described in my earlier post. I appreciate you have run a memtest, but what did you use, Memtest86+ is the best test around and would be worth running just to be sure.

Yes, you have now answered my questions about the installing of the software.

You are running the system on low memory, I would advise you to increase the RAM capacity to improve performance.

What software are you having problems with (please supply a list), it may be that the minimum requirements for the problem software to run correctly is higher than your existing amount of RAM.

In respect of your other problem it is not clear what you mean about the screw. You will need to install the correct drivers specific to the card you are fitting. It is also unclear as to why you cannot uninstall the old driver, that should be possible by first finding any related software entries in Add/Remove Programs (for XP) or Programs & Features (in Vista and 7) and then uninstalling the driver in Device Manager.

Please relate any further posts on the other computer to Computer B, or the thread may get a bit confusing, and relate to the other PC as Computer A.

13. Lauryxy

Computer A

The programs I have installed:
    The only working ones:
    Firefox (newest version)
    Blender 2.58
    Imgburn
    Not working:
    GTR (used to run this at max settings before reinstalling windows. And don't get me wrong, I reinstalled that after reinstalling windows)
    Endorphin 2.7.1 Learning Edition (just saw a vid of that being run with a 700 mhz processor and 500 mb ram, it "ran" like a 3 legged turtle, but it worked)
    Frets on Fire (Ran on my much weaker computer B nicely)
    Algodoo (also ran in Computer B)
    For some programs even the installer doesn't work and crashes.

I think that's it.

For the memtest I used windows memory diagnostic.

From that Clevo site I couldn't find the drivers I need (I couldn't find one for sis 672 series)

Computer B
    I mean the screw that attaches the card to the computer case.
    I can uninstall the driver if it is doable by just blindly pressing the right buttons, because the integrated graphics card does not work anymore, I have no picture on my screen.

14. Mark1956

Mark1956

For Computer A I think we may be looking at faulty RAM, run the Memtest 86+ as per my instructions and we will take it from there. Make sure you let it run for at least 8 Passes. The Pass count will show in the display, center right. It is a long test so I would set it up to run overnight. Windows Mem test is ok ish, but may well miss smaller faults, Memtest86+ is much more thorough.

Computer B, the screw you refer to should not be a problem as long as the card is fully inserted. With the new card inserted you should be getting a picture with the monitor connected to it even without the correct driver installed, or you could try booting up into safe mode and see if that works.

15. Lauryxy

Computer B is completely fine now, it just started working, if it stops working, then I'll just buy that 12€ VGA>DVI cable and it'll work again.
    For computer A I'm going to run the memtest now.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!