1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Many Windows XP Problems! HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by heeylaurax0, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heeylaurax0

heeylaurax0 Thread Starter

Hi, my name is Laura and I'm currently working off my office computer. Two summers ago, we had purchased a scanner that had been working until about this passed summer. This passed summer, my computer completely died: blue screen of death every five seconds-- the whole nine yards. So, our tech-guy decided to copy my employer's hard drive and use it to create my "refurbished" computer. When he did this, the scanner no longer worked; however, our Brother HL-2270 worked fine (assumed no USB connection issue).

Because I needed a more heavy-duty printer, we purchased the Brother DCP-7065DN. Upon installing the software, I saw that the copier and printing sides of the printer had worked. However, I needed the scanner to work as well. So in efforts to fix this issue, I uninstalled, and re installed the program. Repeated this process over the course of maybe four days. After uninstalling and reinstalling one time, I saw that the scanner had been working (only through the computer command, not through the keys on the printer) and tested the printer. Now, the copier and scanning works, however the printer does not.

So, I uninstalled the program. Now, I am trying to reinstall the program, and it always gets stuck on the "Plug in the USB Cable" page. The computer is not recognizing the USB port I plugged the printer into. So, I tried every other port behind the tower. No luck.

Please let me know what I have to do to make this work! I downloaded Advanced System Care 5 to scan for any errors in my registry, detect any malware, and it fixed whatever it found. But still no printer :(.

Please help!

Thank you!

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, My first reccomendation would be to make sure you have UNinstalled any no longer used printer or scanner software>

then, using the links I have below, go and familarize yourself with the Brother support area I have linked below as well, and get the user manual, go through that and the FAQ's they have at the support site.......

SKIP that Registry cleaner, they often create problems, we realize they seem like instant magic to many folks....there are hundreds of threads on our site here where users have had severe problems from using these optimizing programs..you are lucky in that it looks like your machine has not had any serious problem from this!

If you are able to, in the printer driver "Properties" window (which you see when you right-click on the Printer icon in the Scanners and Printer folder in Control Panel...)

you should see a "Port" tab that opens a list....often, the default is LPT1 which would be the older type of connection....the wide, screw-in type of plug>>> and you may need to manually change this setting to a USB port..... by selecting "USB 002" " or similar USB in the list. Try all those USB ports.

To get a scanner to reinstall correctly, sometimes there are two folders that need to be deleted manually after UNinstalling the printer/scanner software.
    Have you been through the user manual and/or looked at the support information availabe online?

Contact Customer Service>>>> you may find it easiest to ask for tech help from Brother!
    http://www.brother-usa.com/askus/default.aspx?PGID=5&R3ModelID=1814

http://welcome.solutions.brother.co...p.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=dcp7065dn_all

http://www.brother-usa.com/support/default.aspx?PGID=5&R3ModelID=DCP7065DN

Hope this helps, and speaking from much experience, I sympathize with you completely, knowing the many ins and outs of this type of hardware installation firsthand, it's a lesson in patience and perserverance but I am sure you will sort it out.

Let me know if you are seeing the USB port as set in the printer driver. Might be I can look at the user guide stuff and come up with something.

3. heeylaurax0

Okay, thank you! I'll definitely try everything out today.

Another problem I keep having with this computer, is I receive an error message saying:

"No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware."

How do I find and download the "appropriate" driver for my computer? Could you steer me in the right direction based on my computer specs?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager.

When the Device Manager window appears, click the + in Display Adapters

What's listed in that heading?

Are there ANY entries in the Device Manager that have a ? or ! next to them?

-------------------------------------------------------

Do NOT use cleaner/optimizer/booster/tuneup/tweak type utilities under ANY circumstances.

They can damage Windows and break programs.

------------------------------------------------------

5. heeylaurax0

There aren't any devices listed. Is that bad?

[​IMG][/IMG]

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  7. heeylaurax0

Yeah, my tech guy had downloaded Service Pack 3 for me already. Should I download it again?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Has it been downloaded and saved for a later install, or has it already been installed?

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties. What's listed in the "General" tab for the version of Windows?

If it's already been installed, there's no need to reinstall it.

--------------------------------------------------------

9. heeylaurax0

I believe it has already been installed. I went into safe mode and ran the "fixccs.exe", but the command prompt would only be up for a second, and then close. I'm not sure if this is what's supposed to happen, but I only saw "Checking registry" or the first line of the command.

@Flavallee - It says:
    System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

10. XPWhizzKid

XPWhizzKid

That means Service Pack 3 is installed and there is no need to reinstall it.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    SP3 is already installed. (y)

------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what you did and why you did it in safe mode.

You download and save the Windows XP update, then close all open windows, then double-click the saved update to install it.

-------------------------------------------------------

12. heeylaurax0

The directions on the Microsoft website said to open the .exe file in safe mode.

What should I do next? I feel like this computer is just screwed, lol.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Sorry. I read the instructions in the other Microsoft link, and it's not usually required anyway to install updates in safe mode.

The Device Manager window is still blank?

The forum rules limit us in how much we can assist with corporate/company computers.

Go here and scroll down to the last part of post #1.

14. heeylaurax0

Yes, the device manager is still blank.

Well... it isn't really a corporate computer, lol. Our tech guy doesn't really know much, and he only comes when there's a problem. I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me. My employer has given me the heads up -- anything to fix this issue.

I really need this to be fixed. I'm working without a printer :(.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click an empty space on the desktop, then click Properties.

When the Display Properties window appears, click Settings - Advanced - Adapter.

What's listed there?

I'm strictly a HP Deskjet/HP Photosmart user, so I can't advise you anything about Brother printers.

Here is the support site for your printer that hopefully can be helpful to you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice