1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Map incorporated into webpage

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by novith, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. novith

novith Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    Im trying to help one of my friends out with a building a website for his small business using dreamweaver. I was wondering how to incorporate a map into the site itself. So that the customer would know the location of the business. I want to either use Mapquest or Google maps. I seen it done on several sites, but I have no idea where to start. Any help given is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you can link to various map sites - I have linked before to a UK site called streetmap.co.uk

usually how to do the linking is all explained on the sites

3. novith

novith Thread Starter

I thought about the links, I was actually try to do something like this.
    http://high.org/visit/directions/directions.aspx

I guess I can also take a screen shot of the map and put the image on the page, but I thought there might be a better way to do.

If its too complicated, i guess I can just link it to the site.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not sure where you stand on copyright by copying the file onto your internet server - thats why I have always linked

5. novith

novith Thread Starter

ahhh completely forgot about the copy right issues. Thank you sir

6. novith

novith Thread Starter

7. Chris_E

Chris_E

The Google Map API is an excellent and zero cost tool (y)

First, go here:

http://www.google.com/apis/maps/

You may register a URL to have use of the API and, one you have the API key which is easy to get) you can then start to be creative and have Google map within the web page, complete with drag and zoom features.

Live example at http://www.northwickdental.co.uk/wmap.htm :cool:

View the source of this page and you'll see I have the key data at the top of the HTML code and the Javascript for the map at the very bottom.

Anon

Chris

8. novith

novith Thread Starter

Hey Chris, thanks a lot man, I already came across this as well. Im just trying to figure out if this is easier to use Map quest, as it already gave code and all. Im actually leaning towars Google. Thanks again for ur help man.

9. Chris_E

Chris_E

No probs ace.

I found the API a bit 'fiddly' but the results were spectacular and the customer LOVED it!

Anon

Chris

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice