1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

map network drive - save password

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rikku, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

I'm mapping a drive to a Windows 2000 Server (no domain, just workgroup) from a 2000/XP workstation. How do I save the password so that the drive maps automatically the next time I turn my computer on?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just create the same user account and password at both ends.

3. Rockn

Rockn

You can also run a login script from the server to map the drives every time someon logs on.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Problem is it looks like the account names and/or passwords are not the same on both computers.

Also it is not a domain controller, so I thought login scripts weren't processed in that case.

5. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

So you're saying that the only way it will 'save' the password is if the password is entered on login via the Windows Login.

Unfortunately, this is a Netware environment so all windows usernames and passwords are 'user'.

There is just one Windows 2000 server that 3 people need to access shares on. I guess I'm out of luck --- unless there is a DOS map command that takes a password argument and I could put it in a batch file??

Rockn, why kind of command would I need to put in a login script to map a windows network drive? Maybe I could through it in the Netware Login Script....

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Didn't realize you had Netware until this last post.

You can use a DOS command to map network connections.

They syntax would be something like:

net use x: \\server\share /user:username password

Where:

x: is the drive letter you want to map
    server is the name of the Windows2000 server
    share is the name of the share
    username is the user's name
    password is ..... ;-)

7. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

thanks very much. I will give that a try in the login script.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since the Windows2000 server is not a domain controller, you can't put the login script there. The workstations are not logging into a domain.

If the login script will run from the Netware server you can give it a try.

Otherwise, with only three computers to deal with, you can:

1. On each computer, make the small batch file with the net use commands you need.

2. Put it, or a shortcut to it, in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup directory.

3. Then no matter who logs into the computer, the batch file will run.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice