Mapped Drive Problems...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dark Mage

I have a user who cannot stay connected to a mapped drive.
I keep getting an error that says, "Local Device Name Is Already In Use", when I attempt to view the drive.
I usually can see the drives contents when I do this mapping on other users' computers, IE;...I go to My Network Places >>> Map Network Drive >>>
I put in the drive letter that I want to use, and then I browse to the folder in that drive that I want to map. On this PC, I can't see the folders in the drive...in other words, I can see the Network drive, "Img01", but cannot see the contents of that drive...(hope I'm making sense)

So then I go about it the hard way and find the contents by going:
Start >>> Run >>> \\img01
Then I can see the contents, I right click on the folder I want to map, and presto!
It's mapped. But when the user shuts down or reboots, It's lost it's mapping and has to be re-mapped...

I'm at a loss. Anyone?

I right click on the folder I want to map, and presto!
It's mapped.
Does it give you the option to check the box for keeping the drive mapping? If you check it does it still give you that Local Device Name Is Already In Use error upon reboot?

Have you also removed all drive mappings done a full shutdown and restart and remapped all the drives? What does Net Use tell you? Does it say there is already a drive mapping somewhere?

Dark Mage

Does it give you the option to check the box for keeping the drive mapping? If you check it does it still give you that Local Device Name Is Already In Use error upon reboot?
Yes..and yes.
As for Net Use...
Haven't checked that yet.
Oh and, yes...I have disconnected the mapped drive, re-started the PC, and gone through the mapping process...to no avail.

Since you are getting the error "Local Device Name Is Already In Use", have you checked to see what local device might be using he same drive letter as your mapped drive. It is usually pretty straight forward to either change the drive letter assigned to the local device or change the drive letter you want to map.

Bob I don't think this user has a local drive using it.. I think he is saying he has it mapped then it says its in use then her unmaps and remaps but then is lost again and repeats itself... I have seen this from time to time even using something like a Z: drive which I would hope to think noone had 25 other "local drives". I could be wrong and yes this is something to check but I am thinking this is client/network related not just client installed hardware related.

Dark Mage have you done a google search? I found a ton of things that could be issues. Just plugging into Local Device Name Is Already In Use in google gave a lanudry list of possible causes. One big one is upgrade the service pack of your computer. What OS is this computer and have you tried upgrading the service pack?

Dark Mage

Yes...it is definately client/network related.
Haven't Googled yet...was hoping someone might have a "quickie" solution, but when all else fails...Google it! lol
Running WinXP Pro with all current updates and Svc Paks.

My order of operations is google first - for the quick answer, then, if all else fails, post to various forums for a last-ditch answer.

And thanks for the info - this is a post I will be watching because I've also seen similar problems and never quite figured them out.

Dark Mage what is it showing under sessions on the server itself? Is it showing a connection to the server from the user or is there nothing at all server side?

Dark Mage

The server shows a connection, but it "times out" and boots her off that server...Wierd thing is, that she only gets knocked off of that particular server. (She's mapped to 4 other drives on the network, and no problems with them...)

So are you using a logon script. This can give this error is a drive has been previously mapped with something like the net use command. Also what happens if you try changing the letter (just to test). If you do a net use from the command line, what network connections if any show up.

Dark Mage

The logon script isn't written to map that particular drive. It only maps our main file server.
Going to go try to change the drive letter now...
...Didn't work.

Net use shows drive to be disconnected and no conflicts, using same drve letter.

This server timeout has me wondering is she the only user getting "timed out" on this server? Is this particular person the only one with this symptom? Or are others also getting timed out on this particular server?

Lets remember the OSI layers.... start on the bottom (or top for you weird people)...

Have you checked to see if the computer has a bad cable? Throw a tone and probe on it and see if it is the drop...maybe it is the patch. If it is randomly timining out then i would say something physical is the cause.

I had a similar problem; the user had re-arranged her office and pulled a bit to hard on her patch cable caused some damaged. This was hard to diagnose because it would work sometimes...

Just a thought, 90% of all network problems reside on the physical layer.

then again, i haven't been 'playin the game' for very long

wis

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online