1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mapped drives dropping

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lord Impaler, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lord Impaler

Lord Impaler Thread Starter

I've been having this issue for awhile now at work. A lot of the employees mapped drives will magically disappear, even though they are still logged on to the domain which is windows 2008 SP2. My only solution is to reboot their PC, and in some cases rebooting several times for the mapped drive to reappear. It is quite annoying and the only literature I could find on the subject was an article about changing the fast booting for the server, which I would rather not do. I have confirmed that they are not shutting off their systems, but they are logging off. All the PCs ampped drives are set to reconnect upon login. I realize this seems pretty broad, but any help would be appreciated.

2. Lord Impaler

Anyone? If you need more info on the matter I can supply it!

3. Lord Impaler

Most of the PCs are running on XP pro SP3, the few remaining are on 7 pro.

4. Lord Impaler

5. Lord Impaler

6. xalerik

xalerik

Which drive letter assigned to the mapped drives? If you assigned drive letter from the beggining, it can be what plugged USB device for example can take this letter then network not reachble. net use should work if:
    1. Network share is accessible
    2. Rights to folder appropriate
    3. Drive letter is free to use by net use.

If drive disapears should be some event log message about unsuccessfull mapping.

7. Lord Impaler

I've taken that into consideration. The drive letter is F: and it is very random. I've checked the event logs, but there are no errors. It may not happen for months, then out of the blue a mapped drive will randomly drop off someones PC, so I'll have to restart it. Sometimes it shows the mapped drive, but only the files that were created or modified by the PC connected to the drive.

8. BDP1397

BDP1397

Don't know if this will help but it just did for me.. for other reasons though.

After you map the drive, create a shortcut of it in another folder.

I dropped the folder on my menu bar. Now I just go there and click to get to the other computers.

9. Lord Impaler

The drive is not loaded when it drops. Most of the people here would never know if the drive was gone, but the drive has a database on it that is being accessed by accounting software, so naturally when that is severed so is their access to the database, and that is when the calls come to me.

10. xalerik

xalerik

Have this in mind about letters. Windows by default suggesting drive letters from end not without reason. Most often home folders in many companies mapped to Z, X drive letters.
    F to near beginning, it can be taken by any flashdrive plugged in.

11. Lord Impaler

I realize that, but that is not the case. For instance, the last drop had a flash drive plugged into it and loaded fine in the morning. 4 hours later mapped drive takes a dump, restart PC, mapped drive is back, all while the USB flash drive stays plugged in and readable on a different drive.

12. downtime

downtime

13. Lord Impaler

Excellent. I'll give it a go and see what I come up with.

14. Rockn

Rockn

How are you creating these mappings? Do it via a login script in group policy. If you do not set drive mappings as persistent they will not always come back at the next login. Script it and all your troubles will go away.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!