1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mapped drives on startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skyzefawlun, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skyzefawlun

skyzefawlun Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a feeling this may be a really stupid question, with a really simple answer. I've searched and searched and searched for an answer to no avail, and have finally resorted to asking for help...

So here's my question. An EU has a mapped drive that they reconnect at each login, and is challenged to provide their credentials. After authenticating, an explorer window pops up displaying the contents of the mapped drive. They get upset that they have to click the X button. They ask me to fix it. I tell them to deal with it. They tell me they can't. I laugh at them. They tell me they're not kidding. I come here and ask: Is there any way to suppress the explorer window that pops up when you mount a drive? I could have sworn I saw either a registry key, or and entry in group policy.

So.... any ideas? I know I'm going to kick myself when I hear the solution, but hey... at least my EU will have one less mouse click each day... lucky them.

Thanks in advance!

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Why don't you have it setup to save the credentials so he doesn't have to re-mount it everyday.

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Just got to ask a few questions...

How are they reconnecting this mapped drive ?

Is it via a script ?

Or are they doing it manually ?

If it's via script, have you added them to the share properties of the drive ?

4. skyzefawlun

First off, thanks for the responses guys! Always nice to have a first post get good attention. That'll surely keep me coming back here, and who knows, maybe throwing some of my expert knowledge around... Anyway, back to the question, or more appropriately the answers...

Squashman - I have attempted to save the password in several places and have yet to show any sign of this happening. I've gone the route of map network drive../reconnect at login/connect using different user name and saving it there, and gone the route of users/advanced/manage passwords , defining it there and storing the password. Neither has shown any positive results. As far as I can tell, I DO have it set to save the creds, the problem is that it ISN'T saving them...

Jedi_master - currently I have them connecting via a shortcut in their startup folder, which points to the share so that they are prompted when they log in as they use several apps that require the drive be mapped. Previously with the good old map/recon/other cred/saved password route, they were silently failing and getting errors when running their apps. They are running a logon script, which does map other drives just fine and is not part of the problem as the problem persists without the script. Ideally, I'd like to find a way to have the drive map silently each time without any user interaction, but I'll settle for them providing a password as they do now, but NOT having the newly mapped drive show it's contents in explorer. I know, fix the root of the problem, don't just bandaid it...

I know what I'm trying to do can be done. Manually map a drive using different saved credentials and have it reconnect without user intervention at each subsequent logon... That has to be possible, right? I can do it under w2k, but not XP? I thought I used to be able to do it with XP... is this a change with the 'more secure' SP2?

5. axis77

axis77

man im kind of confused but are you running in a domain environment? does the user have rights to this mapped drive, or folder where ever its at?

6. skyzefawlun

Well axis77, there's good reason for the confusion... We are sort of running a domain. When I say sort of, I mean that we are running an Xserve with OSX10.3.9 as our "PDC" with opendirectory and samba. The users do all have explicit rights to the share, which lives on a w2k server which is a "domain member".

I probably should have mentioned the OSX curveball that was coming earlier, but I was hoping not to have to get into it, as it complicates things more then you could imagine. Word for the wise, NEVER run a windows network off an apple server... Uggghhh.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. So a domain user logs into a workstation, and has their home drives, group drives, etc mapped normally via our login script. Those shares all reside on the PDC, and they have rights to them because they're domain users. If that user maps a network drive on the PDC, and checks the reconnect at login box, they'll silently map the drive each time and the world is a happy place. If they map a drive to a share on a different domain member server where their domain account has rights, same results. Silent success without a prompt and a happy world. Now, if that same user maps something else (one of several NAS devices we use) using a local account on that device as it's credentials, it will fail to reconnect at login giving the silly little 'help' balloon in the systray, and prompting me for a password when I try to explore the drive in my computer. It's like it's refusing to store the password. I've entered it through the map network drive window, and through the 'manage passwords' window, and neither place causes the password to be saved.

Is this making any sense to anybody? Am i just totally missing something here, and there's no way to do what I'm trying to do? Map a share on a NAS device each time a user logs on without the user having to enter a password or enter a password but not have the explorer window pop up and display the share's contents.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice