1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mapped drives

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jbub, May 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jbub

jbub Thread Starter

I have a lab with win2000 machines and a win 2000 Server. I have a mapped drive to all the workstations. However when a user logs on they are not able to open the drive through many applications such as quark, photoshop, notepad. They are able to open the mapped folder with word or excel. When they open the mapped drive first they are able to open the drive using quark, photoshop or notepad. Does anyone know how to automatically keep that drive mapped? Is there a way to do that in group security? Thanks Jon

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is this a mapped drive "to" the workstations or "from" the workstations.

What happens if you run a batch file that makes the network connect first (or open up a cmd program and run "net use x: \\server\share" - where x: is the drive letter you want to map, server and share would need to be change to whatever the specific ones are.

3. jbub

jbub Thread Starter

The folder is located on the server and mapped to the win 2000 worked stations as drive e. Thanks Jonathan

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So what happens if you use a batch file to make the connection that way first. This is just as a test and might not be a final answer.

5. joelitoo

joelitoo

Hey, this is my first Post ... now I am not a NEWBIE persay to computers but I am kind of new with Servers ... now I made a .bat file that works perfectly stand alone that connects all the drives I want but I can't figure out how to get it to run as a logon script for certain profiles. I put it in the scripts folder in the winnt folder and wrote mapdrives.bat in the logon script area but it doesn't work. I really appreciate your help!

Joel

6. jbub

jbub Thread Starter

Do you know were I can find a script to map a network drive and create a short cut on the desktop. Thanks Jon

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It's easy. Just create the batch file you want that makes all the network connections. The create a shortcut to that batchfile to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu folder. Then when anyone logs in that batchfile run. I do this all the time when people don't have a domain controller.

8. joelitoo

joelitoo

Wow Bob that is an amazing Idea!! I am going to do that!

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you want a centralized location you can also just make the shortcut on the workstations point to a batch file on the server. Then you can make andy needed changes to just one file.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!