Mapped network drive automatically establish multiple connections

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

silverback

I have three network drives mapped on my computer, running W2K Pro. With no provocation, one of my mapped drives is mapped again (and again, and again, and again.) Legitimately mapped drives are A: thru J: The spurious drives have drive letters assigned sequentially, and, of course, assign all the way up to Z--for a total of 12 bogus connections.

For consideration: two of the networked drives are on the same computer, and they never have spurious connections. All the spurious connections map to the same computer.

I haven't been able to find anything in Microsoft's Knowledge Base, and I'm flat out of ideas. Does anyone have any ideas???

Are you using a login script to establish these mapped drives? Why would you use the A, C, or D letters as mapped drives?

silverback

No, I'm not using a login script. The drives A: - G: are local drives--combination of floppies, ZIPs, CD-ROMs/Writers and HDDs. The legitimately mapped network drives are H: - K:

The four network drives are on three different servers. The connection that is being re-mapped is an administrative share on a server that is used as a Backup Domain Controller, running NT4.0. What makes this thing so strange is that there are mapped drives to two administrative shares on the same server, but only one of the mapped drives--the one that I mapped first-- has multiple connections established.

Try dropping all the shares by right clicking and doing a disconnect. Reboot and see if any mappings still come up. If all is cleared out....re-map your shares and see if they behave after a reboot. The registry might have some extraneous entries that need to be cleared out as well.

silverback

I'd like to say that it worked--but I'd be lyin' through my teeth.

Let's go ahead and add a little more mystery. Just for giggles and grins, I changed the order in which I mapped the drives. The same drive--mapped first initially, second this last time--is still the only one that gets re-mapped.

I'm still lookin' for any suggestions. I really appreciate your assistance.

You never mentioned what the mappings were after you disconnected them and rebooted. Did they reappear? After you disconnect and reboot, look in the registry under these keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network\Persistent
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Network\Persistent
and if you use profiles:

HKEY_USERS\username\Network\Persistent

If there are entries for drive letters delete them from here...reboot and map again after reboot.

silverback

Nope--nothing there at any of those entries.

AFter I disconnected and rebooted, there were no mapped drives. When I remapped the drives, I connected them in a different order. It's still the same administrative share that automatically re-maps.

I'm still puzzled.

What do you mean by an "administrative share"? Is there a home directory set up on the server that connects at logon?

silverback

An administrative share is a logical drive--a portion of a large physical drive that is hidden from users. For all intents and purposes it can be treated as a partition. However, a single partition can have a number of administrative shares.

There's nothing like a home directory there, but I do have W2K automatically reconnect my mapped shares when I reboot.

do you have ms office loaded on this machine? there is a bug that maps drives in ms office. somewhere on this site is a fix. i will try to find it and link if you have ms office.

By admin shares you mean something like C$ ? Gotcha....also, do you have network profiles in use? If you do, try deleting the one on the server and unmap everyhting on the local machine....log off and back on again...remap and reboot.

silverback

MikeB: Yes, I have MS Office, but I'm doubtful that this is the problem--otherwise, I think that others of the mapped drives would be iteratively mapped--not just the one mapped drive. I've disconnected all the mapped drives, and then reconnected them in differing order, but it's always the same mapped drive that has multiple reconnects.

RockN: Yep--something like C$--identical, in fact :). No, we don't use network profiles.

Brooks

Are you running Microsoft Office Find fast?

I have seen a similar problem to yours when using this utility. I had one drive that would map itself several times. I stopped the findfast utility from running, disconnected all the mapped drives, rebooted then re-establised my mappings. I have not had this problem since then.

BTW Microsoft stated that this is a problem in NT and Office 97. I had it on Win2k running Office 2000.

silverback

This is a possibility. I've been running FindFast--rather, I've been letting it run--but I just terminated it and re-mapped the drive. I'll let you all know what happens.

silverback

:D Brooks, I stopped FindFast yesterday morning, disconnected the extraneous mappings, and--at least as of right now--the spurious mappings have not reappeared. Usually, I would have had a "full house" of bogus connections mapped overnight.

The caller is still examining the card, but it looks like we might have a good Bingo!

RockN, MikeB--thanks for your interest, attention, and suggestions. We can learn from things that have worked for others, even if they don't work for us. Again--much thanks.
Silverback

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online