1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mapped network drives randomly disconnecting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sstasiak, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sstasiak

sstasiak Thread Starter

I have a problem with mapped network drives in my organization. About a week ago our helpdesk started reporting calls from users saying their mapped drives said they were disconnected. At that time it was only a few people at another site that were experiencing this. This week we've been seeing it happening at all sites. The strange thing is sometimes the drive will be marked as disconnected, but upon clicking it, it opens up. Other times it says access is denied. A temporary fix we've been using is to delete all local profiles on the machines that have been experiencing this. I'm wondering if this is an issue with the user profiles that's somehow preventing the drives from mapping or if it's an issue with the permissions. I'm reluctant to think it's a permission issue since prior to a week ago all drives were mapping normally. All machines are running xp pro. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. mohenjo

mohenjo

I'd check offline files and make sure that it and "offline synchronization" are disabled.

I've experienced this as well, and so far my best guess has been with the offline files feature.

3. sstasiak

sstasiak Thread Starter

I've got a little more info on this problem now. This problem is happening for users who are logging on to different machines throughout the day. What's happening is that when when the next user logs onto a machine, the drives stay mapped from the previous user. The access denied message is coming up only when the user tries to open their H: drive which is their home drive. They can't access it because it's someone elses drive and they don't have permissions. The other drives say disconnected, but they're able to open most of them because they're share drives that almost everyone has access to. It's strange because the drive mapping is the only thing that is not changing from user to user. All user profiles are loading fine so everyone has their own email, it's just that for some reason the drives aren't remapping accordingly when the users need to be at other machines throughout the day. Any thoughts on this??? It's becoming a nuisance.

4. JoneeJay

JoneeJay

Do you use log on scripts?
    You could try disconnecting the drives in the log off scripts, this may help -

haven't experienced it for myself yet though.

JoneeJay

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/374529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice