1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mapped Network Drives

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by The_Oracle, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The_Oracle

The_Oracle Thread Starter

mapped 2 network drives (reconnect at next logon). now when i start the computer the 2 drives show a red X on the icon. this is because Vista is initializing the drives (telling me 192.168.xxx.xxx is not accessible) BEFORE the network connection is fully up and running (i have tried both static IP and DHCP). i can open the drives once the LAN connection is established and the problem is solved ... but still annoying.

Windows Firewall is running with the default settings.

any suggestions?

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

This is normal.

3. The_Oracle

if that is normal behaviour then the increasing numbers of downgrades do make more and more sense :)

4. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Just takes a second for your profile to make the SMB connection when you logon.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have the same problem where I connect wirelessly and it seems to be a defect in Vista. Where I am wired this does not happen.

6. The_Oracle

yep, i suppose it's a matter of speed :)

however, i'm using a wired connection between a Broadcom 440x NIC and a WRT-54g router.

my laptop with XP is connecting via wireless to the same NAS server without these glitches and so do 2 other XP machines (wired), it's just the Vista PC

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Once again my main unit is Vista and is wired to a Linksys WRT 350N router and is instantaneous, in fact I can see it long before Windows is up I see the light go on for this box.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/636157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice