1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mapping a network drive REMOTELY

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sphinx, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

Ok, on my home network, I already have it so that from any computer, you can map a network drive via "\\comp-name\shared-folder

and remotely, it should work like this: "\\ipaddress\comp-name\shared-folder

HOWEVER, my home network is on a linksys firewall, and each computer only has a generic DHCP IP address. I do know my REAL IP address (WAN), but that doesn't matter because it won't find my computer because of the firewall. UNLESS, I made one the networked computers on DMZ host, but that is way too insecure.

What I want to see if its possible, is use PORT filtering. I already filter a few ports so that I can host games even on the firewall. Is it possible to set aside a random port just for remote networking.

and then would the command to connect be something like this:
    "\\ipaddress:filteredport\comp-name\shared-folder
    ??

How would I do this?????????/

Really appreciate help, thanks

2. Node

Node

remotely it should just be \\IP address\shared-folder

3. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    You need to open up TCP port 1723 and UDP port 47. Just forward those ports to the local IP of the host computer. I've assuming that you've set up a VPN for the remote part.

4. d127001

d127001

allowing netbios to the wide internet is not very good.
    as skinnywhiteboy said, set up a vpn, or install a linux box and open port 22 for ssh up and learn to port forward.
    ssh is fun

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/245731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice