1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mapping a network drive to an internet server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mikee-va, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikee-va

mikee-va Thread Starter

I am running windows2000 on my home cmputer. I am trying to map a network drive (a letter drive R:) on a windows XP server in another location. I have access to the folder but cannot map it using the map network drive until the tools.

i can map a new network place but need to be able to map it to a letter drive so I can run some revision control software (RCS).

Any suggestions?

tks mike

2. mikee-va

mikee-va Thread Starter

Hi guys...
    haven't gotten any answers to my question. am I posting this in the right forum?

tks in advance for your help

mike

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    "i can map a new network place"

what do you mean by this?

4. mikee-va

mikee-va Thread Starter

Tidus,
    i am not having trouble mapping a new network place. what I need to do is map a network drive across the internet.

my company server is running XP. I'm running win2000 on my home machine. In order for me to run RCS (Revision Control Software) and check out software from the home repository, I need to be able to map to a letter drive (i.e. "R:"). if I use my "play" computer which has XP I can do it. I can also do it using a computer at a client's site with that computer running XP. Whenever I try to do it from a computer running WIN2000 it tells me it can't find the folder.

I think it has something to do with remote desktop connection but I have not been able to get that running.

I'm hoping is a simple thing like setting an environment variable????

don't know

tks mike

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Is this a remote server? Are you connecting using a VPN?

6. mikee-va

mikee-va Thread Starter

John,
    not exactly sure what you mean by a remote server. the server is at corporate and I can easily do what I want from an XP machine at my house. Just can't do it with a win2000.

no not running VPN and my boss would rather I not go that route.

tks mike

7. jhoegl

jhoegl

Only way to do it is via VPN or FTP server, or terminal services. Each one requires the server have one of those services setup on it.

8. JohnWill

If you are mapping resources over the Internet directly without using a VPN, and your boss approves of this VERY INSECURE practice, he needs his head examined! :eek:

9. mikee-va

mikee-va Thread Starter

john,
    i didn't mean to mislead anyone. the drive (or folder) is not wide open. I still need to provide creditials to log in and corporate feels that is secure.

I can do it easily with XP, just not from a win2000 box.

mike

10. Rockn

Rockn

Unless we know what sort of security or connection you are trying to make it is kind of hard to tell you what to do with the Win2K box and it's connection problem. Can you give an example of how you are trying to connect? Is it something like net use \\IPADDRESS\share to map the drive?

If they are just using network shares over the internet, plain text passwords are not secure.

11. mikee-va

mikee-va Thread Starter

I was hoping this would be a simple problem to solve since I can do it from an XP box.

What I am attempting to do is from My Documents window under tools I am clicking on Map Network Drive. I select a drive letter and for the folder I qualify it by typeing

\\somefiles.mycorp.com\files\rcs

and click finish. a pop up shows up saying Attempting to connnect to \\ and what i typed in. after a minute or so I get another popup that says

The network path\\....\rcs could not be found.

On my XP box after I type up the folder name and click finish it goes off and comes back with a secure logon to the folder. I do not get the option for the secure logon when trying from a win2000 box.

tks mike

12. mikee-va

mikee-va Thread Starter

problem solved --

tks mike

13. JohnWill

Care to share the solution?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice