1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mapping a shared ubuntu drive in windows.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ThePCguy95, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePCguy95

ThePCguy95 Thread Starter

Nov 11, 2010
    I have never had to share an Ubuntu drive to windows before, and I never thought it would end up being this difficult. What I need to do is share my 500gb drive in ubuntu, it is a secondary drive, not the primary with the OS on it, to my windows xp and my windows 7 machines. So far I have samba installed on the ubuntu machine and I have formatted and set everything up. The issue is that I just cant figure out how to connect to it in windows becuase when i use the map network drive feature it says something about no network found. Any ideas what I could do, or could someone instruct me through this from the beginning?
  2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Mar 30, 2008
    I had set up a Samba server on a Linux box ages ago. It was one of the most royal pain in the rear for me at the time. I then was turned on to Webmin. Webmin makes it a snap to setup a Samba server. You should install Webmin and go through it to setup your Samba server. Hopefully, it'll resolve your issue.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060086