1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mapping drives problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by delta_kilo, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. delta_kilo

delta_kilo Thread Starter

Now how hard can this be? for some reason I can not map one of my drives. I'm running w/xp pro on both computers one server an one client. First the client computer I went to windows explorer =>Tools=>Map network drive=>I pick the first drive letter z: then I typed in \\computernameofserverhere\c =>click finsh and it maps the drive no problems.
    On the server I do the same thing same steps and all I get is ATTEMTING TO CONNECT TO
    \\COMPUTERNAMEOFCLIENTHERE\C then I get THE NETWORK PATH \\COMPUTERNAMEOFCLIENTHERE\C COULD NOT BE FOUND. So what the heck?

2. gurutech

gurutech

File sharing may not be turned on, or may be disabled through the firewall.

3. delta_kilo

I'm able to share other files between the two computers no problem, how do I check the firewall would this be under =>exceptions<=?

4. yzman

yzman

what firewall do you have? check the logs if you can and if the firewall is blocking it you will see it there.

5. Phoenyx

Phoenyx

Dunno if this would be across the board, but at least whenever I try to map a network drive I need to use the format "\\<PCName>\<DriveLetter>$". Without the "$" I cannot map the drive.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That's because you have not shared the drive explicitly but are connecting to the administrative shares that get created automatically.

7. renegade X

renegade X

If both server and client are joined to the domain, then this will be good to go, depending on the computer account's trust delegation.

So, if the client is in a workgroup then you will have to right click a folder that you want to share and enable the share.

One more note, if you are on a domain all you will have to do is an admin share. (Go to Start-run and type "\\computername\c$"

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

With "w/xp pro on both computers", it is unlikely there is a domain.

9. renegade X

renegade X

If he is in just a workgroup, then as you stated, he needs to create a new share.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Exactly

11. delta_kilo

Well I got the drives to map , but now on the client pc I click on the mapped server drive Z: I can see all my files on the server and access them except for when I click on Programfiles I get access denied and this is where I need to access files. So how do I get permission to access the program files folder?

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Let me guess, XP Home?

But then again even if you could access the other computer's Program Files directory, it is unlikely that you could run them over the network. Most programs need to be installed on the computer they are going to be run on.

13. renegade X

renegade X

right click the Program Files folder and go to share. .Enable share on that folder.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

We need to find out what operating system and version they have. You can't do that with XP Home.

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you're trying to share programs, this won't work by sharing the Program Files folder. Your computer still needs the necessary files and registry keys.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!