1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MapQuest maps...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drgnhrn8140, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drgnhrn8140

drgnhrn8140 Thread Starter

I have 3 computers, all connected to the 'net via Comcast broadband - 2 PCs & one laptop. Both PCs can view the maps created by MapQuest in the little map window at their website but the laptop shows a blank where a map should be. What have I got turned off? Whaaatttzzz up with that?

Any ideas?

Thankx

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

3. drgnhrn8140

Hi Mike5532g, thanks for the quick info. I have already checked out that ref you supplied on MS.com. I guess I failed to mention the laptop is using Mozilla Firebird browser and not IE or Netscape so that ref doesn't work for me.

Any other ideas? ?

4. mike5532g

mike5532g

Try clearing the cache.

Tools>options>privacy.

5. canwolf

canwolf

I'm using using Mozilla Firefox and it works OK for me

oh it's a desktop

6. drgnhrn8140

I cleared the cache in Firebird but it didn't help. (n)

Gosh, I love computers! :confused:

Any more ideas? :)

7. mike5532g

mike5532g

Try Internet Explorer. If it still doesn't work, I would check the Hosts File for any Mapquest entries.

8. drgnhrn8140

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike! :p

I used IE and looked up some streets on MapQuest and it works fine on the laptop, then I went to the hosts file in SpyBot and in the "Windows/System32/etc" directory but the only entry in the latest "hosts" file there that was close was a "map-quest.org" and that's not the right one. :(

Appreciate your help so far, this is a bummer! (y)

9. mike5532g

mike5532g

Okay, lets try this, tools> options> web features> and under load images uncheck for the originating website only and click ok.

10. drgnhrn8140

Sorry I took so long to get back but it is fixed now. :)

Appreciate all your help! All you "Techs" are great! :D

11. hewee

hewee

You can try this.
    Disable the host fiile and clear the cache or temp files and close down IE or Netscape.
    Then go back and see if you can get anything to work.

I was over at Mapquest and I have a very big hosts file blocking about 35,000 sites and I use edexter also and I do no see anything from the site being blocked so I don't think it would be your hosts file giving you trouble. But do as I said above and your find out.

Well I just tested things out and see I was blocking at http://www.mapquest.com/ page on the right had side. http://ar.atwola.com at a top banner on other pages but I did not disable my hosts file. It was when I turn the java off that thing were not showing up. But they are needed to get around the site.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice