March 12 th 2019 Windows 7 update

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

smithmdan

March 14th 2019 Windows 7 update

I am very concerned about the news I am reading about the REQUIRED Windows 7 Update that is coming down the pipe in March.

This has something to do with Security Algorithms and is irreversible from what I read.

I would prefer that Microsoft leave Windows 7 Pro alone but I know that they are not going to.

Usually when they do something major like this it kills older software and hardware.

Anyone else worried about what Microsoft is getting us into ??

I have Windows 7 pro computers at home and work.........and I am NOT going to Windows 10.
I will go to Linux.

How do I stop this potential mayhem ?

Johnny b

John
Make sure the 'Restore' function works in case you need to undo any damage.
A drive image before the update would be wise.

plodr

Liz
I make images every month before I do the updates. If something breaks, I restore the image.

smithmdan

Thanks for the replies.........

I will look into making an image.

After more thought on this subject I am now thinking that my plan is going to be to turn off Windows updates about a week for March 14th, the date for the update.

I will then be able to see happens to other computers before I allow the update to run on my computers. If no problems then I am good to go.

Old Russian Proverb : Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

No, I am not in the "Black Helicopter" crowd, but has anybody ever heard of "Planned Obsolesce" ???

I also have a sinking feeling in my gut that is a lot bigger than we all know right now............

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Can some provide a link to this issue that Microsoft is going to have?

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Can some provide a link to this issue that Microsoft is going to have?
I could not find any information on a March 14th update, but MS is pushing out a March 12th update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ning-support-requirement-for-windows-and-wsus

It has to do with MS switching from using Secure Hash Algorithm 1 (SHA-1) to only using SHA-2 to digitally sign their updates as of July 2019. If you do not update your Windows 7 installation to the March 12th update, you will not be able to install any updates starting in July 2019.

smithmdan

Yes, I had the date wrong in the original post and the post title, sorry about that.

Here are two non-Microsoft versions of what they are doing.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/366610/still-using-windows-7-microsofts-next-update-is-critical

https://fossbytes.com/windows-7-users-sha-2-update-march-microsoft/

I still don't trust what Microsoft is getting ready to do............have seen too many hardware/software failures or software/hardware suddenly becoming obsolete because of Windows Updates or Windows OS Upgrades.

SHA is just a hash algorithm. The algorithm computes a non-reversible summary of files. Probably MS uses the algorithm to verify the downloaded Windows Update packages are really from them, a safety measure against forged malicious updates.Your older computer is quite capable of using SHA2.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online