1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Margins in posts

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by pyritechips, Apr 9, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Mike:

Is it possible to code your CSS to include margins in posts? I've always found it difficult to read text that runs to the edges of an element.

Is something like the following possible?:

p.post
    {
    text-align:
    justify;
    margin-left:
    30px;
    margin-right:
    30px;
    }

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    I wouldn't date take 60 pixels (30 pixels on each side) from users! Didn't you see the trouble I caused by stretching the ads by 1/3 of that? Besides, I think 5px is fine. :)

3. RandyG

RandyG

Mike, your 5 pixels are on the outside of the post box, aren't they??

I think pc is referring to more room inside the post box. This wouldn't be a major issue to most, I'm thinking.

Besides, to me it looks like you have 5 pixels set on the outside of the post box, and maybe only 1 or 2 on the inside. I wouldn't go so far as to have 30pixels on both sides, but maybe an increase to 5?

4. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Nope, we have about 5 on the inside... at least in IE6. Even if we had none, 30 on each side would be WAY too much.

5. RandyG

RandyG

Just so we're clear . . .

I use IE6, and the below picture shows how close to the edge the text is, and to the left, shows the edge past the text box.

No biggies, just wanted to explain some more, and now I'll let pc and any others fight their battles;):D

Attached Files:

6. hewee

hewee

Looks the same way with Netscape 7 Randy.

7. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Oops! Didn't see your screen shot Randy - sorry. I'll post mine anyway to confirm, but that is exactly what I meant.

Mike: I didn't mean for you to take 30 and 30 literally. That was just an example from my own CSS. It can obviously be any value. On my 17" monitor, 30px gives only a ΒΌ" margin. The second example below is 30X.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice