Marine needs help fast!!! Dec 6 2011 7pm

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nmartinez8114

Ok so here's my problem. I forgot my windows vista password. So I used a password remover I used for a laptop awhile ago. Well it worked. My problem is I had a friend install a second hard drive months ago. When my computer came back on it reverted back to the hard drive I had before he installed the new one. How do I get back to the hard drive I have been using for the last year if I can't even see it. I would ask my buddy but he is in Afghanistan right now and won't be back till next year. I need the to get on that drive. I'm pretty sure when he installed it it became the c drive and my old one became the I drive. Now my old one is back to my c drive and I can't find the new one anywhere. I know it's in my tower because I can see it! Sorry don't mean to be sarcastic but I NEED HELP QUICK. My wife has an architecture project due and I have a project due as well. I am stationed on camp Pendleton so I am on west coast time. Please someone help. Thanks ahead of time

Nelson Martinez

Go into "computer management" and then click on "disk management" to find your missing hard drive. It should show up there and then you can right click on it and see what your options are.

Someone with more experience can probably give you more advice, but at least you should be able to find the drive. Good luck.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
You might need to go into the BIOS setup before Windows loads and the other drive as the primary boot device.

Nmartinez8114

I did that and know go. It only shows the c drive that is working right now which is the old one

The thing I mentioned is computer management. Haven't used Vista in a while, but I think you can access it by clicking on Start and then type in "computer management" and when that screen opens then go to 'disk management'

The other thing about bios is restart your computer and thenyou have to tap on one of the F keys, depending on what make your computer is... so you can get into bios. Once there, you can tab across to where it says boot options and then find your drive and set the computer to boot from it first.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
So Disk Management only shows one drive?

To enter the BIOS setup, when you first turn on the computer it should give you an option to enter the setup; the key to press varies but its usually DEL, F1, F2, or F10.

Are you sure it had two hard drives? Few laptops support two hard drives. Are you sure you are logged into the correct user account in Windows? Do a search of the C drive for the files you need, they may be there.

Nmartinez8114

Triple 6- sorry for confusion. It is a pc not laptop. It almost seems like the drive is not powering up. Again I am not computer smart. And I just switched the boot priority and no luck. I am going to try the search as you suggested
Mogoamerica- thanks also. I wil keep trying and keep you both posted. Thanks

Nmartinez8114

Ok so I tried everything. The bios boot menu, searching for my files in c drive, restarting and still no luck. If I shut off my computer and open up the computer would the drives have labels or numbers or something that I can use to identify which is which? I can't think of anything else to do short of taking my computer to a shop. But I don't have the time right now and if I had the time I don't have the money. Any ideas?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
If the drive is not showing up then a system restore won't help. The drives will have model numbers, brand names, and sizes labeled on them, you can use that to see which on is showing up and which one isn't. Make sure the drive is spinning and the cables are securely plugged in on both ends; try unplugging and plugging them back in.

Nmartinez8114

Triple6-Ok I'll try that now. I was about to try system restore but thought about it and then your post came up.

Nmartinez8114

I'm using my iPad to be on this forum so if anyone has any other ideas I can still view them.

Somewhere in bios there should be an option to see what drives are connected. There might even be an option to search for drives not listed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online