1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Marlett? Problem???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tjsudo, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjsudo

tjsudo Thread Starter

MMX266, 40mb comp at work. C drive for application. D for data.
    C has dual boot W95 English, W98 Japanese.

Problem is after browsing the web with W98, minimize, max, close, down arrow, up, etc. became numbers.(i.e. minimize became 0, max became 1, close became p).

Is there know virus to do this?

First I thought it's marlett, so I went font folder and double clicked it and it didn't open. Other fonts won't open except "A" fonts.

What's possibly wrong with it?

TJ

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

3. tjsudo

tjsudo Thread Starter

Here's up to date,

I run latest AV and it came back clean. Thanks for the link.

In W95, it was OK and Marlett were same size in both W95 and W98 folder, so I tried to copy W95 marlett to W98.

An error said I had to delete existing font first, so I did and somehow Marlett in W95\Font folder was deleted as well as W98.
    Is it shared?

I got Marlett from other W98 machine and tried to install font from floppy, machine didn't recognize a font on a floppy. ???

I did "find file" for marlett, it found marlett in both W95/98 font folders???

I fixed W95 back by installing W95 over it, I couldn't find W98 disk.

What can I do?

4. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Did you do it this way? If not you can try it again while I try to find some more info. (from the w95)

The main system font is the Marlett font. Try installing or extracting that from the Windows 98 CD. If that doesn't work, you may have to install all the Win98 fonts. Quick tip: when you extract (use the System Information Utility), extract them to a temporary folder, not the Fonts folder. The fonts folder is actually only a compressed file. Once the font is extracted, go to the Fonts folder and click Install new fonts.

5. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

6. tjsudo

tjsudo Thread Starter

Thanks! I've E-mail the address to the computer at work. I will try downloading it this evening.

TJ

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Do google search for the Marlett.ttf and check out a few site. It is apparently a touchy thing to work with and that way you may be more assured of not haveing it happen again. Good luck and let me know.

8. tjsudo

tjsudo Thread Starter

I downloaded and tried to install.
    Well, it didn't go. I mean I pressed the button for "install" but nothing happened.

Web sites I checked so far all telling about extracting from cab, not copying.

I'm gonna look for 98CD. It's gotta be somewhere there.

TJ

9. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

10. tjsudo

tjsudo Thread Starter

Hi, Thanks again!

The trick was making marlett system file in MS-Dos.

When I install it, winexplorer didn't show it(selected show all files), however, when I did search on marlett, it was found right in fonts folder. So, I restarted in Ms-Dos and attrib +s on marlert and our buttons are back!

We still have other minor problems(like disappearing program menu, etc...) and I'm still looking for w98 CD....

TJ

11. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Do you have children? You might start the search there. :) :)

12. tjsudo

tjsudo Thread Starter

Or my birds, they turn everything into unrecognizable pieces!

Anyway, DoyceJ, thanks for all your help.

TJ

13. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Sure, just let me know when its done so I can know the process.

Luck. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice