1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Marvell gigabit is not gigabit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by svengal1, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. svengal1

svengal1 Thread Starter

Hello All,

I am running an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard with the Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter with the 6.32.0.0 driver version.

I run DSL with the 1.5 Mbps speed through Verizon.

My situation is this:
    Most of the time I connect at 10.0 Mbps and sometimes I connect at 100.0 Mbps. I get these readings from the systray by hovering my mouse over the 2 computers.

My questions are:
    How can I connect at 100.0Mbps all the time?
    Are there settings that I can change to facilitate this?
    Is there a more accurate way to determine speed?

Thank you

2. Rockn

Rockn

You never will unless the interface at the other end is also gigabit. You will only ever get full gigabit speeds on your LAN if all devices and OS's support it.

3. svengal1

svengal1 Thread Starter

When you refer to the device at the other end are you referring to my isp?

Please go slow. I am brand new at networking.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The modem only supports a 10 or 100 Mb/s interface. It doesn't need to support anything over that since the ISP's speed is well below that. 1000 is backward compatible to 10/100. If the speed alternates it might be a bad cable. Also ASUS has newer drivers for the Marvel LAN on their website, might be worth checking if you have those.

5. svengal1

svengal1 Thread Starter

I am going to the Asus website and download the drivers. I will install them and if that is not the fix then I will get a new cable.

Is there a standard on the maximum length of cable so performance is not affected?

6. svengal1

svengal1 Thread Starter

I went to the Asus website and I did not find any newer drivers for the Marvell. I am using version 6.32 and they have the 6.28.

7. rmay635703

rmay635703

It sounds like you are using a hub instead of a router.

If you use a router and one device is slower than the others it will not force everything to run at the slower speed.

What all do you have attached in the network?

Cheers

8. svengal1

svengal1 Thread Starter

I am not using a hub or a router. The Marvell Yukon port is on my Asus motherboard.

I am using the 6.32 version of drivers and Triple6 said that there were newer drivers on the Asus website. I went there and all that they had were the 6.28 drivers.

Thanks

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its not likely the drivers anyway, more of a cable or modem issue. Does the same thing happen with the other built-in LAN controller? If it does its definitely the cable or modem.

10. svengal1

svengal1 Thread Starter

The other Lan connection on the motherboard is Nvidia and is not a gigabit connection.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice