1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mass storage device malfunction

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by EPICCARROT, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EPICCARROT

EPICCARROT Thread Starter

Good day guys

The pc's at my local library keeps hiding all data on any mass storage devices connected to it and creating broken shortcuts off all data on the data on any mass storage device connected to it. Any other computer is then unable to view data on the mass storage device.

I can recover my data easily and I have put on a warning script on the library pc's to warn people of the problem. Locals using these pc's are in danger and I do fear someone would come in and try to use an external hard drive disk.

My question is: What is wrong with these pc's and how do I fix the problem?

Thanks for the help

2. valis

valis Moderator

that sounds like it was set up that way, the pc's sound like kiosk mode. Chances are the admins set up the pc's to do that locally. Have you asked the library admins?

3. EPICCARROT

The admins do not know about this and the IT department only comes here once a month (or in this case it's been two months)

Even if I can't do anything to the library pc's (being in kiosk mode)

How do I stop the pc from (seemingly) removing all data. A lot of people use these pc's and use mass storage devices. They do not see all the data is turned into broken shortcuts. They just see the icons and believe the data is still available. Basically it's destroying a lot of people's lively-hoods. Of-coarse for me I can just recover the lost data, but not all people are tecnitions.

But as I said, I do try to warn people by running a looped vbs from the startup folder. Its all I can do so far.

4. valis

valis Moderator

if you are not the admin, you cannot change it, and we cannot assist.

5. EPICCARROT

Thank you for your feedback

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

There is a difference between "not showing" data and "deleting" it.
    In any case I would be very hesitant about using a "public" computer to edit a personal media and would never use any media I could not afford to lose the contents of. (IE a copy).
    I would also do a FULL malware check on the media immediately on inserting in my own machine..

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice