Mass Storage Instalation Prob

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BIMBIM

Hi.could Anyone Please Tell Me How To Format My 80 Gig Mass Storage Device .i Can See It In Device Manager And It Is Working Properl But I Cant See It In My Computer.the Man In The Market Told Me It Does Not Need Cd For Instalation Just Formatting In Admin Tools.i Use A Laptop Pentium 4 2.66ghz
Device Manager Tells Me There Is No Driver Installed.

Many Thanks And Sorry About The Capitols As I Dont See To Well.

Thanks Tc

Hi,

No mention of Operating System, anyway assuming XP

Start
Settings
Control Panel
Admin Tools
Compauter Management
Storage

Select the drive and format it

hth

Ceri

BIMBIM

Thank You For Your Reply Ceri.i Get As Far As Storage In Comp Management Click On It It Says Media And Library There Is Nothing Anywhere That Says Format Drive ?yes I Use Xp

Go to disk management start>run> type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. now create a logical drive and format with ntfs. You may need to restart your computer. You will now be able to copy files etc to the new drive. Good Luck and Merry Christmas

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
When you open Disk Management, you may have to right click on the left hand panel down in the graphical display and select Initialize first, then the Partition and Format options will be present. In the Help for Computer Management, scan for "Initialize disk" and you'll see the option described.

BIMBIM

thank you all very much for your help.have a lovely xmas.

cheers
teecee

BIMBIM

Hi John.
I Still Cannot See The New Drive In The Graphical Display.there Is Only The Laptops Own Drive Showing.i Can Only See The New Drive In Devive Manager.the Format Option Is Grey And Not Available When Displaying The Laptops Drive.could You Please Help Further.am I Being Thick?thank You

Teecee

BIMBIM

Hello Again.i Cannot Restart Or Shutdown My Laptop When The New Drive Is Switched On.do You Think I Have Bigger Problems?can I Format The New Drive On Another Puta And Then Just Plug It Into Mine And Maybe See It In My Computer?

Thanks

Teecee

dustyjay

Jay
IS this in a generic External case or did you buy a ready to go external drive? If ready to go, it could be bad from the factory. If in a case that you installed the drive in itself, it may be a bad case or bad drive. Does the Drive have its own power supply? Or does it draw power from the USB port? You may need to get a PCMCIA USB port with an included power supply so that it doesnt over load the onboard USB port. These are just thigs to try or think about.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If the drive is not initialized yet, it'll only show up like a CD with just the small section on the left in the GUI display, You right click on that to Initialize the drive, then you can continue.

BIMBIM

Hi John.i Can Now See The Drive .i Tried Ti Initialize But It Still Says Unallocated?any Ideas Please?

Thanks Teecee

BIMBIM

Hi Ceri.i Can Now See The Drive In Disk Management But It Says Unallocated.can You Advise Please?
Thank You.
Teecee

BIMBIM

Hi
I Bought Case And Drice Seperate.why Does Nothing Come Up Simple With Computers Ever.its A Case Its A Drive ?how Difficult Is That.anyway I Can Now See The Drive In Disk Management But It Says Unallocated .can You Advise Please.
Thanks
Teecee

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
On the "unallocated" graphic in Disk Management, right click, partition and format, and all will be well. :)

dustyjay

Jay
What John said! There is nothing wrong with a drive and a case that you combine yourself. This is what I do and will keep on doing. But remember in doing so you have to Partition the drive and format it before you will even be able to see it in Explorer or My computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online