1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Massive FPS drops only fixed with reboot

Discussion in 'Games' started by PianoMan184, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PianoMan184

PianoMan184 Thread Starter

Recently I built my new rig with a 1080 ti and a 8700k but when I try to oc the 1080 ti past 2000mhz the fps drops from 120 in heaven to 30 and is only fixed if I reboot but i dont think its the silicone lottery because i assume then there would be artifacting and such it also drops to that after about an hour if i have the voltage increased on msi ab but and with voltage and plus 2000mhz it drops instantly and the gpu power goes from 100 to 120 to about 60 i think it could be my psu as i have a raidmax 735 watt but idk any suggestions are appreciated

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

These days all GPU and CPU will down throttle if the temperature of the chips is reaching the max temp. Heaven is just a benchmark. It's hilarious to me that people care more about the benchmarks than the games that they play. Play games and note the FPS during the game. Is it playable? If not overclock.

I haven't heard Raidmax. I stick with Seasonic because Seasonic has a long history of making quality power supplies. I think Apple picked Seasonic to make power supplies for Apple II. Apple II have lasted a long, long time, so I picked Seasonic because of their long-term usability. I suggest you pick a power supply that matches the caliber of your processor and graphics. I have used S12, M12, and Focus+ series from Seasonic and they are excellent.

3. PianoMan184

PianoMan184 Thread Starter

This weekend I am buying a corsair psu and I will tell you if that fixes my overclocking issues but if not is isn't like I need to oc as my stock 1080 ti is still fine I just want to oc as it is a free 5 to 10 fps

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice