1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Massive Multiple operating problem - please help :(

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by minm, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. minm

minm Thread Starter

Hi everyone - I am new so dont laugh at the lingo etc.

Have several problems with computer at home (on my work computer now) details are below.

It is a desk top PC - has a external hardrive attached via usb - I use mozilla and internet explorer when mozilla not working.(rarley happens) have an external 4 slot USB hub plugged in at the back of computer.

PROBLEMS:

1. Had to use a recovery disk 1 - 1.5 weeks ago as computer was saying system error config 32 (something like that anyway) used neighbours disk as lost mine when moving house - their disk was in Japanese so she did it for me - as far as I know this worked.
    2. Bought a new IPOD - installed Itunes and Quick time player this where pros started. 2 days ago
    3. first setup got stuck so cancelled it - would not let me select certain tick boxes so had to ctrl alt delete as setup froze.
    4. reinstalled itunes deleted the half set up one that didnt work - played around with new one which seemed to work
    5. turned off computer as per normal - shut down and turn off at wall
    6. opened windows that night (yes it was 2am and I was a wee bit drunk but we just wanted some music) this is when massive prob occured.
    7. START button gets stuck keeps opening the menu over and over really fast cant stop it unless press ctrl alt (no delete)
    8. Can not right click
    9. can not type in internet to down load anything to fix prob
    10. managed to remove itunes and quick player buy holding down ctrl alt when in remove programs - thought they may have been carrying a virus.
    11. Also managed to Defrag hard drives c and d - there is at least 20% disk space on them each.
    12. tried F8 on reboot but wouldnt work this time.

See told you was having massive probs.
    Not sure if worth getting fixed or I just get a new computer - also half of my usb ports dont work hence the little external hub.

Computer was built specifically for us to down load massive files and for design work and obviously play movies music and games - has great graphics and sound cards etc so would be sad to see all the cool stuff go - was built in 2005 or 2006 cant remember.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

For recovery console, repair install or format and fresh install - which please.

3. minm

minm Thread Starter

I am assuming recovery was done as a repair install - but as I said it was done by my neighbour as I do not speak or read Japanese.

4. Macboatmaster

Well is it possible to ask and also ascertain, if you do not know if IT was a repair install, was windows reactivated. If you have lost YOUR CD, is there a COA & product key label for YOUR installation on the computer case.
    If you do not have your product key - ASK the neighbour which product key has activated windows.
    If Recovery console was used to rectifiy file errors then activation was not necessary.

With all the errors you have I would, if this was a repair install, SAVE what you can and do a clean install.
    I would verify the HDD`s status first.
    If you need further advice please post.

5. minm

minm Thread Starter

Silly question what is the HDD and how do I check the status? :)

6. Macboatmaster

No problem
    Hard disk drive. If you know the make I can send you a link to the manufacturers testing utility.
    Does the computer have a floppy drive.
    If you could get into Windows, reliably you could run it from a cmd prompt but with the symptoms you describe it seems doubtful you can do that.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice