1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Massive Networking Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PirateDrew, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PirateDrew

PirateDrew Thread Starter

Hi. This will be a fairly long background story, but I think it's probably all important information.

About a year ago, I bought a Netgear WGR614v5 router to connect my father's computer (upstairs) to my own computer (downstairs.) We have a cable internet connection, and I was sick of using dial-up down in the basement. My nieghbor, a tech whiz, suggested going wireless. So that's what we did.

Well, from the first week I was dissapointed with the performance of the router. I had a moderate signal strength at all times, but dispite that, my connection seemed to drop once a day or so. My solution was to jog up the stairs, unplug the router, and plug it back in. this always seemed to work.

But it started getting worse. I would lose connection two or three times a day, then four, then five. I started discussing with my neighbor the option of hard-wiring my network from upstairs to my room in the basement. Eventually, about a week ago, we got around to doing that. Like I mentioned, the guy's a whiz, runs networks all the time. Neither of us doubted that it was wired correctly (I still don't.)

However, two days later, I was upstairs playing Counter-Strike on my dad's computer (too taxxing for mine :p) when I noticed I had ridiculous ping times- in the 500-600 ms range. How could this be? I had just been playing yesterday with no problems- and at that time, the LAN was set up already- Nothing had changed between then and now, but I was getting ridiculous ping times.

At first I thought it was an ISP issue, but a quick tracert in the command prompt told me that indeed the problem was happening in my house somewhere. My neighbor and I poured over this. We discovered that unplugging the LAN cable from the back of the router, the one connecting the upstairs computer to my bedroom, brought all the ping times back down into the 40 ms range. Well, this was good enough for me, all I wanted to do was play Counter-Strike. Problem solved, right? We did something wrong when we were running the hard line. Our mistake.

Wrong. That night, my father figured he would try and fix our mistake- he assumed that we had connected the wires wrong he got as far as cutting the wires before realizing that he had no idea what he was doing. So, I'm back to wireless- and, guess what? The ridiculous ping times are still there as long as the wireless network is enabled on my computer. Disabling it allows me to play my games upstairs, but re-enabling shoots the ping through the roof. Another, even more recent development: after bout 20 minutes of being connected to the internet, I lose the connection. but not only me, the upstairs computer too. at first we were pulling the power cord out of the back of the modem every twenty minutes, but I've also discovered that disabling my wireless network for about twenty minutes allows my computer to access the internet again when I turn it back on. I can only assume that the upstairs one does too.

SO: my delimma. What the hell is wrong? To me this sounds like a router issue, and I've researched the Netgear line of routers, trust me, I'll never buy another one. My neighbor swears by Netgear though, and he doesn't think that there could possibly be anything wrong with the router. All I know is, when it is connectwed to my computer, our ping is high, and when it is not, our ping is low.
    The other possibility though, since there is only a problem when the router is connected to my computer, is that it is actually something wrong with my computer and not the router. I've run every virusscan program/spyware program I can think of, and nothing's helped. I'm two steps away from formatting this damn thing, just to see if it does anything.

SORRY for the long read :p Please, if anyone has any idea what might be going on, I would really appreciate any thoughts, opinions, ideas- anything. I'm desperate. Thanks a lot.

edit Windows XP sp2 :p also fixed some spelliing and made it easeir to read all those words up there. And just to show you how truely ridiculous my ping is:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=788ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=674ms TTL=240
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=710ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=637ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=715ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=645ms TTL=240
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=629ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=710ms TTL=240
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=734ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=760ms TTL=240
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=674ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=819ms TTL=240
    Request timed out.

Thanks again

2. DBClark

DBClark

From what you have said it sounds like a router issue.

Have you tried updating the firmware on the router. Initial releas is 1.03, 1.07 is next, and then they have one in beta, 1.09.

Your ISP can also run diagnostics to your modem from their end.

What adapter are you using on the wireless computer...not saying that is the problem. Just helps to know. Also what type of encryption are you using?

3. PirateDrew

Thanks for the reply!

Due to the early problems, I actually have tried ALL the firmware that I could get from their support site. 1.07 was default, so I tried 1.03, no better, so after some debate I installed the beta. No luck with any of that.

One more point though: I've read that the model of router that I have has some overheating issues. Is it possible that it's just fried itself? Could that be why it's so sporadic?

The adapter is compatible with the router, and I have disabled all encryption in a last ditch attemp to get this thing running. I was previously using WPA-PSK.

4. DBClark

DBClark

Routers do go bad. The cost of a new one isn't all that bad right now with sales and rebates. Netgear is not a bad name...but most people seem to lean towards the Linksys Routers.

Does your friend have another known good router to swap out and try?

5. PirateDrew

He does, and thanks for that suggestion. I suppose that would show whether it is the router that's bad or whether I have a computer issue.

6. DBClark

DBClark

To provide wireless access to my son's house across the street from me I went out the limb somewhat...he helped pay for the equipment, but we purchased Belkins Pre-N Router and matching PC card for the laptop. I was very impressed with the increased coverage and boost in speed.

Only mentioning this in case you want to still go wireless with better coverage.

7. PirateDrew

No, I think I'm done with wireless, at least as my main method of connection. Like I said, even from the beginning I had minor, annoying issues with it. To be honest, I'm tired of messing with the stupid thing. I think I'll do some research into a linksys router tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help. :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice