1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Massive System Failure - Multiple Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I have a PC thats got the following

Intel Core2Duo E6700
    4 Gb (2x2) 667Mhz RAM (just added this today from ebay)
    Foxconn 45GM mobo
    ATi Radeon X1300 GPU

I have had about 20 BSOD's with different messages, this happened 5 minutes after running prime95 for 5 minutes to stress test the CPU with new thermal paste on its cooler- the temps are fine btw.. today I added 4Gb of Kingston RAM I bought from eBay 2nd hand.. it worked fine for hours until I ran Prime95 - when I opened the machine I saw that the ATI Radeon X1300 wasnt sitting correct and that it may have come unstuck from pressure at the back of cable against the unit when pushed back...so I thought this may be the cause possibly?

anyway, since then windows would sometimes boot then BSOD and sometimes would not even get into windows and BSOD, ive had about 7 different messages:
    PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
    NTFS.SYS
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    PAGEFAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    AN_ATTEMPT_WAS_MADE_TO_EXECUTE_NON_EXECUTABLE_MEMORY

as I kept getting NTFS.SYS I thought it may be the drive...so I tried to reinstall windows 7 and I kept getting BSOD during install (several attempts) at various stages with mostly the NTFS.SYS stop error - I put in my old 160Gb drive and have had the exact same issue with that? - I removed the 4Gb RAM and put my old 1Gb stick back in and this time the windows install went to near the end (rebooted once) but hung on "testing video performance" so i crashed it & started it back up - it continued and hung on "finalizing settings" - so I crashed it again and now its hung on "starting windows"..?? no BSOD or stop messages??

what has happened here?

could the mis-lodged GPU caused damage to other components like the CPU,PSU,Mobo ??

I should tell you that the GPU is no longer in and Iam running on OnBoard GPU (Intel i945G) since before trying to reinstall windows

Iam about too reboot it again and then put my 500Gb drive back in and see if that will work with this 1Gb stick back in

EDIT: This 3rd reboot continued setup and allowed me to log in but i had to choose a diff name as it remembered the one from before (before it froze previously)- Iam now gunna attempt to format th 500Gb in windows

EDIT2: managed too log in and busy performing a FULL FORMAT of the 500Gb Seagate drive, should I still check for error after that?

EDIT3: formatting complete of drive, now performing checkdisk with both check boxes ticked, this is on a 120Gb partition on the 500Gb drive (prep'd for windows) I will scan the other Data partition later

EDIT4: no errors found on partition A - will now attempt windows 7 pro 64 install on that drive and partition

EDIT 5: more hanging at setup screen - this is not hard-drive and not memory so must be motherboard or processor thats knackerd!

EDIT 6: rebooted and restarted the win7 install on 500Gb drive on 120Gb partition, currently got further than first setup screen as before...expanding files now...has hung at 33%..?

thanks in advance

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you ran extensive memory tests? Run Memtest86+ for several hours or even overnight and note any errors and in what memory address range: http://www.memtest.org/

3. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

its doing it with several sticks though

ive just got this message during win 7 install on the 500Gb drive , 120Gb partition

THE FILE OR DIRECTORY C:\WINDOWS\SERVICING\PACKAGES IS CORRUPT AND UNREADABLE. PLEASE RUN CHECKDISK...

but the thing is I have and the disk is clean??? had same problem with other disk too

could this be a controller issue on the mobo?

4. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

ok thousands of errors on one of the 2Gb sticks so far...gunna cancel and test all other sticks including ones that were ok before

5. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

ok, on quick testing, one of those 2Gb sticks has thousands of errors withtin seconds in one port, but 130 in 2 minutes of testing in other port

the other 2Gb stick has no errors after 10 mins and neither does my 1Gb stick that I used before that I was getting problems with

is it possible that I have fried that stick? wouldnt it be more likely that both sticks got fried? Im just wondering if they wer already dud when i bought them, had them in my machine for about 1 hour use before I had problems..

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are getting errors with some sticks, stop using those sticks or use the info off the sticks to make sure the voltages and timings are correct for them.

When you buy off eBay you risk getting faulty hardware or incompatible hardware.

Run the tests, at least an hour or 2 to 3 full passes, with the 2Gb and 1 GB sticks together and see if it passes. Then try doing a full format and reinstall.

7. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

ok, ive managed to get it installed using the one good 2Gb stick... I ran quick tests of both 2Gb sticks and the 1Gb stick in EACH port - only one of the 2Gb sticks failed, I have since put the 1Gb stick in with the 2Gb stick and is working...

I will run longer tests on the working 2+1 , can I test them both in together or do i have to test each module in on its own?

also, if it were my PC that damaged that stick,is it very likely that it would damage both? or is it possible for just one to get damaged? just trying to assess if it were me or I bought it like that? it did work for about an hour or so with the 4Gb installed... but after the first BSOD they were constant...so guess that shows that its likely to be my fault then :(

thanks for your help

oh the windows install initiated diskcheck after setup rebooted - it didnt find anything.? why would it do this if the disc was clean? think it could have been from previous crash enabling 'dirty bit'..?

oh BTW - it was a matching pair of Kingston 2Gb 667Mhz DDR2 which is the max my board supports - werent odd or incorrectvoltages

8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    You can test both sticks together, however if it reports any errors you won't necessarily know which stick is the problem.

It is quite possible for one stick to become damaged.

9. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I tested the 1Gb stick and 2Gb stick seperately for 90 minutes each and they are fine... the other 2Gb stick is fried badly though with thousands of errors in first minute of testing.

Iam back on with the PC and it seems to be working fine with the 2+1Gb

can I ask? - does my intel i945G/ICH7 mobo support Intel Flex Memory? will it run dual-channel with a 1Gb and 2Gb stick? DUAL-CHANNEL doesnt appear in POST as it did before with 2+2 but CPU-Z says' DUAL in Channel Mode? but before with 2+2 it said DUAL-CHANNEL and had a mode in the box underneath (whereas this 'DUAL' mode doesnt..

what are the differences?

my old mobo with the sticks in said "single" in Channel Mode?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should test the memory together, testing it separately only tests if the memory is faulty, testing it together also tests if the memory is compatible and working properly with each other.

You can run dual channel mode on most motherboards even when using mixed memory modules. It may not run in synchronous dual channel mode because the modules are not matched in capacity but it should still offer some gains in asynchronous mode. Flex Mode is only supported on newer chipsets, yours isn't one of those.

11. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

Just like to say thanks to all for your help - the system is working fine again anyway, I will test them both together tomorrow, ive also been told to use Maxtor PowerMax to check the HDD as its more reliable for error-checking etc...which I will do tomorrow

anyway, I have decided to sell the Core2Duo and the 3Gb memory (providing it tests ok tomorrow as a pair - they are both DDR2 667Mhz 1.8v chips with same timings) as I have come into a little bit of extra money and Iam going to upgrade to an H61 motherboard, 8Gb (2x4) DDR3 1333Mhz RAM and Pentium G645 (supports 1333Mhz RAM) which is about 40-50% more powerful than this C2D E6700 and only costs £50, I will be using the GPU built into the pentium as its bound to be better than this ATI Radeon X1300 - i dont use 3D anyway...not a gamer...

I will let you all know what happens with it

many thanks again :)

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  13. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

excellent find...thanks matey... I think I will buy that, I was just gunna pay £54 for new one, that will save me £14

shame he doesn state the model of the cooler... cos I was just gunna use the stock one anyway as I dont have a 1155 cooler

14. Simba7

Simba7

Memory on eBay is hit-or-miss. I usually buy it new for that reason. I always buy PSU's new.

If it was a bad stick, you should get ahold of the seller.

15. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

no it was defo my fault.. it was fine for a while then multiple BSOD's - i then realised the GPU was loose, put back in and removed i kept getting BSOD's until i removed the bad stick... seems the GPU coming out shorted across pins damaging that one stick...

not too worry - ive got a core-i5 3740 and 8Gb DDR3 + H61 mobo coming soon now :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice