1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Massive Win8 memory usage

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by nfwright, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nfwright

nfwright Thread Starter

With Just firefox running, my (8gb) memory is reading at 40%? What's wrong with my system?

I've done memtests, and CCleaners, etc...

All I need is to be able to run some games and a browser.

http://imgur.com/5t0rIYd

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Welcome to the forum. We're pretty good but you have to tell us some problem symptoms before we can start guessing (educated guesses, of course :D ) about causes.

If you use the Registry Wrecker ("Cleaner") option in CCleaner that is likely the source of one or more mysterious problems.

You mentioned that memory usage is about 40%. That is a sign that the system is operating well. Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 strive to keep the memory usage around 50% when possible. That way they aren't throwing away too much code that may be used again soon and also have lots of free memory available for whatever the next need may be. Much more efficient than in previous versions of Windows.

3. nfwright

nfwright Thread Starter

CCleaner: I've clean installed Win 10 preview since the last time I did that

40%: I need to host memory intensive game servers on this machine, and I would way rather have the os run slow than the server. How do I disable these things, or am I SOL?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice