1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Master/Slave HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kiwikqc, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kiwikqc

kiwikqc Thread Starter

Yeah i have solved the floppy drive problem (thanks again guys). But now I have 1 HDD that doesn't show up. I cant even acess bios and it tells me I/O Error after it has not found the drive. Cant use boot disks (and dont talk about cd boot, cause i need to use the floppy for the cd rom to work, remember its an old comp.)
    I'll check again the IDE wires if they are fine.. we never know.

2. ratchet

ratchet

Have you tried a different jumper setting? Maybe cable select.

Make sure your IDE and power cables are seated correctly.

3. junker39

junker39

If you are using the really old type ribbon cables, it is possible to get them in backwards. I ran into that tonight on a 233 mhz compaq. The cable doesn't have a slot on one side to line up with the MB slot or in the HDD. Gotta study where the missing pin is and go from there.

4. kiwikqc

kiwikqc Thread Starter

Well i plugged it this way (nice drawing)

|..|======|..|==================|..|
    HDD---------------------------- MotherBoard
    Plugged
    Here

It is plugged the same way the master HDD (the cable of the Master HDD is also plugged to the CD-ROM

5. ratchet

ratchet

What type of computer is this, make and model#? Mother Board, make and model?

What operating system is installed?

Is the problem HDD your boot drive or storage?

Have you tried running the diagnostic software for the Hard Drive?

6. kiwikqc

kiwikqc Thread Starter

Humm thats an old AT computer. I don't have much infos on the board (lost the manual, it's somewhere in my room, just have to find it..) All i know is that it's a socket 7 mb with Intel PCISet (chipset), it's got 4 ram slot (EDO actually), 4 ISA and 4 PCI. The processor is an Intel Pentium 75 (by intel o_O).

The problem is that where i push the power button, the comp starts calculating memory, then it see's one of the HDD (the Master one). But searchs for a second one, for like a minute (and the second one is plugged). After that it says some HDD not found error, press f1 to continue... and then if i press F1, it get's me the no I/O Error

Note that during the whole sequence, i can't access to my bios, don't know why

7. ratchet

ratchet

Can open the case and see who the drive manufacturuer is?
    I'm wondering if the drive has failed.

8. kiwikqc

kiwikqc Thread Starter

The drive is a 4.6 Go Fujitsu model : MPD304043AT

Thanks for the support

9. ratchet

ratchet

10. kiwikqc

kiwikqc Thread Starter

Humm.. i dont want to seem pessimist, but how can i run a diag tool when i cant proceed further than the I/O Error (which is in DOS)

11. ratchet

ratchet

If you have drive cabled correctly and the diagnostics software does not detect it, then one would have to assume the drive has failed.

12. kiwikqc

kiwikqc Thread Starter

I mean, how can i put the diag tool on my comp. I am posting on my AMD config which is somewhat younger than my old relic.

-So to make it clear. I cant find a way to put files/infos or whatever from the Athlon to the Pentium75.
    -The P75 does not boot further than the "mem check, drive check and then the show comp info" sequence.

I don't know what makes HDD fail, but i never moved this drive out of the case (it was pretty clean) and in fact, i could not remove the molex splitter on it, so i decided to let it screwed in the case.

13. ratchet

ratchet

Your machine is trying to boot from the hard drive. If you download and create a boot floppy for a HDD diagnostics it will boot from that and search for your Fujitsu HDD.
    If it doesn't boot to the floppy you will have to change your boot sequence in Bios;PHOENIX-AWARD BIOS .

If the program starts and doesn't detect your HDD, I would say it has gone bad.

14. kiwikqc

kiwikqc Thread Starter

Humm, is there any way to get in the bios because during the bootup, i keep pressing f1 or delete and the bios just does not show up.

15. ratchet

ratchet

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice