1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Master/slave relationship in power supply output cables?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stiltzkin, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

I noticed that it looks like my power supply has two plugs for each cable. Is this some sort of master/slave relationship, like in IDE and other ribbon cables? If so, does it matter what I plug in where? I really don't understand the workings of master/slave relationships. I am looking at a Dell Dimension 4300 power supply, but I am about to build a new system from scratch, so I want to know what I'm doing before I buy my own power supply. (As a side note, it would be nice if anyone could recommend a good, high performance, quiet power supply, around 400 watts). Thanks for any help!

2. brianF

brianF

No there is no master slave relationship involving power supplys, several reason's could be given for only having two per line, wattage rating of wire, voltage drop, etc.

I personally like antec true power supplies, the link goes to a 430 watt, they also have a 380 watt
    http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_powerSupply.php?ProdID=20430

3. suesman

suesman

Another vote for Antec. :D

4. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

Alright, makes sense. Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!