1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Match Columns and data

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jaws6547, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaws6547

jaws6547 Thread Starter

Alright so I have 2 workbooks lets say "workbooka" and "workbookb" they both contain the same column header "asset #". Workbooka has a list with no duplicates and is listed as column D. While Workbookb has a couple duplicates and is in column F. I wanted to be able to pull the information from workbookb into workbooka for only the "asset #" that match. Because of the duplicates however I have been running into a problem. Looking for input that does not involve a macros or add-in.

Thank you
    AJ

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what information are you pulling and why does the duplicate matter ? - if the duplicate has the same data - a lookup will use the first occurrence

Please upload a small clean sample of your data / workbook (not a picture) to the forum, Make sure you have removed any private information, remember this is a public forum and so available to anyone
    We would like to see an example of your data and also a manual mock up of the expected results you want to achieve.

3. jaws6547

jaws6547 Thread Starter

Because it gets confused when attempting to pull 2 rows into 1. But anyways lets say column D in "workbooka" has the alphabet, while column F in "workbookb" has 3 "a", 2 "b", 1 "c", and so on. Column F has 75 values, while column D has 26, however some of the values in column F are not the alphabet, "abc", and are not needed.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not sure i understand
    that does not look like duplicates

do you mean the same values in workbooka!D has the same values as workbookb!F
    and you want to bring back the values on workbookb!F that are not already listed in workbooka!D
    as suggested previously

5. jaws6547

jaws6547 Thread Starter

How do I upload the files, 2 different workbooks? Never did this before.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    theres a button at the bottom right of the reply
    Post Reply / Upload a file / more options

click on
    Upload a file

then you can navigate to the file you want to attach to the post

NOTE

Please upload a small clean sample of your data / workbook (not a picture) to the forum, Make sure you have removed any private information, remember this is a public forum and so available to anyone

7. jaws6547

jaws6547 Thread Starter

Alright both "workbooks" are attached different columns than explained above now they are "C" and "B" respectively.

Attached Files:

8. jaws6547

jaws6547 Thread Starter

I did use a work around and just take my column from "workbooka" and it to the bottom of the column in "workbookb" and conditional formatted to duplicates then manually found the information and moved it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1169717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice