1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Matched pair?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adlamb, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adlamb

adlamb Thread Starter

Im running an AMD 64 3000+ on a Gigabyte board and currently have 1 x 512Mb Crucial PC3200 DDR400 installed. I was thinking of doubling my memory and i seem to have 2 options with one being more expensive than the other. I either buy another module exactly the same for about £50 or sell my current module and buy a matched pair of 512s and end up spending about £100. As this is approimately my budget i wont be able to get quite as high quality memory but it will be a matched pair. The other way will give me 2 fairly good modules that are not paired. Any thought on what would be the best course of action?
    regards

2. norton850

norton850

I read your post a couple of times. Don't you end up with a matched pair either way? Or are you talking about buying Dual Channel?

3. adlamb

adlamb Thread Starter

What i mean is should i buy:
    Corsair (VS1GBKIT400) 1024MB (2 x 512MB Matched Pair), DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, Unbuffered, CL2.5, Lifetime Warranty
    With the 'Matched pair' being the key part. Apparently this is supposed to be better than just 2 of the same stickes as they have been tested to run together. Yes i think is means the same as dual channel although im not sure.

4. norton850

norton850

I can't quote for you how much better performance you will see with the Dual Channel RAM, however if your motherboard supports it that's the way to go. So that means getting the new matched pair.

5. adlamb

adlamb Thread Starter

Yes it does support it. The only problem might be that the matched memory i would have to get would be of a lower quality than the stuff i already have cos of my budget.

6. brite750

brite750

Why dont you just buy another stick of what you have and run dual channel, this matched pair nonsense smacks of a marketing ploy. People buy 512 to do their build and then 512 later to run Dual channel all the time just check your manual to put the ram in the right slots for dual channel.

7. pronute

pronute

Let me define matched pair for you all it means is that the SPD ROMs are matched if you get a another stick of what you have now same serial number, capacity, and timing, then it will be fine, I have a matched pair in my machine here is a screen capture of the SPD.

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice