1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Matching Columns in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mithuna_s, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mithuna_s

mithuna_s Thread Starter

Hi,

I have data on the semiconductor industry of companies and their partners (alliances) for the years 91-00 and 01-03.

The data is in 6 columns in the following format:

Alliance ID Company Name Company ID Partner ID1 Partner ID2 Partner ID3 Partner ID 4
    The above is for 91-00 and 01-03.
    The column Alliance ID assigns a unique ID to each alliance. For example, if the company Intel has a partnership with 2 other companies (Partner ID1 and Partner ID2), then this alliance is given an alliance ID XXXXXX. It is important to note that this ID is for a given combination of partners i.e., the same company Intel can have another partnership with some other company (different partner ID1), then this alliance gets a different alliance ID albeit it being for the same focal company Intel.

However, I only have alliance IDs for the 91-00 data and need to generate them for 01-03. In other words, if a given alliance in 91-00 is repeated in 01-03, then I need Excel to automatically assign the 91-00 Alliance ID to the corresponding row in 01-03.

To illustrate,
    In 91-00, I can have the following alliance-Intel partnering with Kodak and Hitachi (partner ID1 and partner ID2 respectively). This alliance can be repeated for 01-03 (Intel with Kodak and Hitachi). Then, I want Excel to assign the 91-00 Alliance ID to the empty cell of 01-03 Alliance ID (of the SAME alliance).

Is there a command or macro program that can do this automatically?

Thanks,
    Mithuna.

2. The Villan

The Villan

Can you please upload an example of your spreadsheet (without any sensitive data) so we can see what we are dealing with.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/842988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice