1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Matsonic with Award 4.51pg Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel Davis, Mar 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daniel Davis

Daniel Davis Thread Starter

I'm trying to install a Quantum Fireball model LCT15 (15gig) hard drive into a system with a Matsonic motherboard with an Award version 4.51 BIOS. Questions:

1. Do I need to download and install utility to flash the bios?
    2. If not...how do I set it up? The system sees it, but it locks at "verifying dma data".
    3. If I do need to flash the bios...can someone point me to the flash upgrade on the net?

Thanks,

Dan

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is this a second drive or are your replacing an older one?

When you say the system is seeing it, do you mean the bios is seeing it? Does it see it for the correct size? Is there an operating system on it yet?

3. Daniel Davis

Daniel Davis Thread Starter

Sorry...I wasn't very specific was I? Here are more details:

A friend of mine has a computer (the Matsonic) that has a 2gig drive in it. She doesn't want to reinstall everything, so I used NORTON GHOST to clone the hard drive onto a 15gig Quantum LCT-15. When I replaced her old drive with the cloned one, the BIOS sees the drive...and correctly designates it for what it is (15gig Quantum)...but when it boots..it goes through all the normal stuff .. then hangs on the "verifying DMA" statement. The 15gig is to REPLACE the 2gig. I have the drive (for testing purposes) as the only IDE drive in the machine. I am satisfied that it's not a master/slave problem, as it's the only drive on the computer except for the floppy.

Yes...there is an operating system on it...win98....and as I said...
    it boots and runs all the sofware on the cloned drive on MY computer..which is a faster, newer machine.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is the complete error message verifying dma pool data?

5. Chris A

Chris A

I have seen that DMI pool after installing ram more then once.. Have you checked and reseated the RAM..

6. sykootic

sykootic

if you placed it into your computer then it probably has now loaded all the drivers for your hard ware and sees a conflict between the two. I would boot into safe mode and remove any devise listed in system properties that she doesnt have and reboot. I would also be sure to save the original 2gig in case you need to reformat the new drive again. Quantum is now owned by maxter, maybe you can use maxblast to set the drive up and copy it.

7. IMM

IMM

While you're in that bios - wander into the PnP/PCI section and enable "Reset configuration Data" (update ESCD)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/72064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice