1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mavica Digital Camera/Win-Zip

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Cheryl, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

When I e-mail pictures (e-mail size) to friends, they say it takes such a long time to download them. I installed win-zip. How can I compress them before e-mailing them? Also, will it download quicker on their end? Last question - when they view them, will they have to un-zip them or will they automatically un-zip by themselves?

I heard that you should put all your pictures in a folder and e-mail the entire folder. Will my friends have any trouble opening the folder?

I'm new at this digital camera stuff so need any help you can give me.

Thank you.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

winzip has a feature called 'wizard' that takes you through the zip (compression) process till you get the hang of it, then you can use the 'classic' view

basically - open winzip, click and drag the file(s) you want into it
    - and yes - they will also need a zip type program to open the file you send

there is an 'exe' or self extracting feature also (may be a separate program download)

folders are just folders - they can be downloaded to the desktop and opened from there - it saves your recipients having to save a bunch of pics to the same place

their download time depends on how many files you send, and the speed of their connection

BUT: jpg picture files are already compressed - you won't see any significant reduction in file size using winzip

you're better off adjusting the picture size (dimensions = file size basically) to get jpg files that can be up/down loaded quickly

but - then you lose 'screen' size and some definition

what to do:
    you can adjust your camera settings so it takes smaller pictures - most digcams have something like sm/med/lrg settings for the pictures

use <u>irfanview</u> or some other graphic editor to reduce the size (and trim out the extra bits of the picture that don't add anything to the scene)

paint is a ms program which is probably already in your PC, look under start, programs, accessories

good luck, post back (i know you will :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice