Max 10BT cable length?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stingray1527

I have to make a cable run that is around 640' and setup two PC's in a workgroup. I know that 10BT max is 100m or 328'. Are my options here installing a hub or a small switch half way to break it up or act as a repeater? I need to keep these two PC's off my main network due to traffic issues.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
A simple hub or switch will do the job as a repeater for this task.

Go with a router/switch. If you use a hub, it will broadcast network traffic to ALL ports on the hub, whereas a router/switch will only broadcast to the computer the traffic is destined for, thus solving your traffic issue.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
He's only using two ports on the hub, since it's in the middle of a 600' run of cable! :) There will be no difference in performance between a switch and a hub in this case...

stingray1527

Will do, gentleman! Thanks for the responses. It helps when you have several ideas. the more that look at the issue the better the ideas.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I don't know why the router was suggested, that's clearly not the correct solution. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online