Max Half Open TCP/IP Connections limit...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cybernomad

Hi,

I use MS Windows XP Professional SP3.

The Max half open tcp/ip connections is limited to 10 in XP...There r patches available all over the net by which this can be increased to any value.

Wud this help in anyway to increase the speed of surfing or downloading. Does this have any drawbacks.

I learnt tht MS changes the tcpip.sys thru windows update so u have to run the patch again...so i thnk if MS is hell bent on changing the tcpip.sys if u modify it...Does MS have a hidden agenda or is changing the tcpip.sys really dangerous and of no practical significance...ie it does not speed up ur net...

Please help...

Thanx for reading this...

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
I don't believe there are any surfing/downloading benefits to changing (patching code) the parameters.

If you are having issues in those areas, there are probably better tweaks to be had.

cybernomad

thnx for replyin....

But cud u please elaborate on the other tweaks u have mentioned above...

thnx again

A half open connection is when you try to establish a connection to someone that doesn't answer you back. Your computer will wait a little bit before cancelling the connection (the timeout period).

So your queue of 10 half open connections will only be filled if 1) you connect to some very, very, very slow servers or 2) you connect to a lot of currently unused ip adresses.

Number 2 can happen if you use p2p-programs that are not aware of this limitation.

When it happens, you are not allowed to make new connections before your queue goes below 10 again.

There are a lot of half-baked driver patches and other "fixes" for the half-open connection issue. I wouldn't recommend most of them.

But there is one very clever and non-threatening one you can try to see if it makes any difference for you. Rather than patching drivers or making any system changes, it simply finds the memory location containing the limit and changes it. It is temporary, easily undone, and does not require you to install any non-Windows software or drivers. Just start it up, make the change, and it will hold for the rest of the session.

Though it can install a driver on systems other than Vista, the driver is unneeded, unnecessary, and not recommended.

TCP-Z

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts