1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maximized browser screen problem; I can’t grab edges with mouse.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ProNJ22, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ProNJ22

ProNJ22 Thread Starter

HP Pavillion (new Jan. 2007) running Windows XP, Internet Explorer 6.0 2900. I’ve 20+ years as a PC user.

PROBLEM - When any screen is “maximized” the screen goes to the furthest edges. It maximizes so far to the edges that I cannot grab an edge, (with the mouse), to drag it back to get a smaller “maximized” screen.

Trying to fix this problem I’ve tried:

1. Scanned for any viruses with Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

2. Fiddle with the Internet Brower’s View.

3. Fiddle with System Panel’s “DISPLAY”.

4. Readjusted the monitor’s margins with the adjustment buttons on the front of the monitor, (to show more black margin space), to see if I could grab an edge.

5. Auto hide the task bar to see I could grab an edge with the taskbar “missing:”.

So far I have not been able to “grab an edge” to any maximized screen.

How can I regain control of this unruly “maximized” screen?

2. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    when the screen is maximised click the restore down button (next to the red cross when screenis maximised) you can then grab the edges and make the window any size you want

3. ProNJ22

ProNJ22 Thread Starter

Thanks, but I am already aware of your suggestion. I am now working with minimized screens.

That suggestion provides the limitation of only using minimized screen sizes. I want the ability to resize the maximum screen size to something other than the full screen to the edges.

How can I grab and resize an ill behaved maximize screen, which is stuck beyond the edges?

4. Augie65

Augie65

Click the middle restore button and then resize the window.

Attached Files:

5. Plantsman

Plantsman

Pressing F11 causes this, press F11 to get back to normal. Don't know why this might have happened on its own, a random key press perhaps?

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

As Plantsman says, F11 or F12 are usually full screen toggles so check that. Also if that doesn't get you out of the situation, try right clicking on the tab in the taskbar for the browser and see if there's a Move command available. If there is and its greyed out try clicking on Restore first and then right click again and see if Move is available. If it is, click on it and then use your arrow keys to reposition the window until you can grab an edge and resize.

7. ProNJ22

ProNJ22 Thread Starter

Thanks, but I am already aware of your suggestion. I am now working with a restored screen.

That suggestion provides the limitation of only using minimized screen sizes. Then when I click on new middle store bottom it return to taking over the entire screen, (minus the taskbar).

I want the ability to resize the maximum screen size to something other than the full screen to the edges.

How can I grab and resize an ill behaved maximize screen, which is stuck beyond the edges?

8. ProNJ22

ProNJ22 Thread Starter

Thanks, but I am already aware of your suggestion and that is not the problem I am trying to solve.

F11 yields a different type of full screen, it wipes out the task bar too. I do not have that problem. I have a maximized screen, (i.e. any browser), with the taskbar in place. BTW, F11's full screen works fine on my system.

9. ProNJ22

ProNJ22 Thread Starter

Thanks, but I am already aware of your suggestion. I am now working with minimized screens. F11 is not in play here and is not the problem I am trying to fix. F11 is working fine as a full screen toggles, which also wipes out the taskbar. F12 does nothing.

My maximized full screen is there without the F11 program. It is stuck in place, (with the taskbar present - NOTE: F11 wipes out the taskbar - I do not have an F11 problem), I cannot grab an edge with my mouse to resize it. All I can do is have the window brought to a "restored" sized. In other words I have lost the varibles of maximizing my screens to any size other than full screen (NOT F11).

I tried right clicking on the tab in the taskbar for the browser and to see if there's a Move command available, nope.. IT IS NOT available. Well worth a shot at it. Thanks.

10. Augie65

Augie65

You can resize the window when it isn't maximized, but the maximized window will
    fill your monitor screen. You may be able to change the screen size with your monitor
    buttons.

11. Plantsman

Plantsman

Possibly IE is corrupted. One method to restore it is to click on the Start button, click on Run, in the Run box type cmd and clck OK. In the command window type sfc /scannow, press Enter key. Have you WinXP CD handy you may be asked to insert it. A progress bar will appear let it finish then reboot your computer.

12. ProNJ22

ProNJ22 Thread Starter

I believe I have caused confusion. I can RESTORE any screen to a smaller sized screen. Once a screen is RESTORED, I can stretch, shrink and drag the screen. I can MINIMIZE any screen to the taskbar. NOTE: The F11 function key works fine and is not an issue.

My problem is when I click on a screen to "maximize" the screen goes to the edges, (with the taskbar in place). I cannot mouse over to the edge far enough to grab it. Therefore I cannot drag it, stretch it or shrink it. It is stuck.

13. buck52

buck52 Banned

Augie65 has advised you correctly unless you have a windows glitch...

You can't drag the screen size from the maximized screen... you have to click on restore down which at first doesn't appear to have done much but if you move the pointer very slowly to the edge of the screen in will turn into the double arrow

to the best of my knowledge you can't drag the screen size when you have maximized it...

14. ProNJ22

ProNJ22 Thread Starter

I also have Moszilla FireFox and it now has the same problem. Neither had this problem previously. So two programs being "corrupt" at the same time with the same problem seems odd and a long shot. I am thinking that there is a simple setting somewhere that needs to be changed.

Thanks for your help....... It is now SOLVED. I was my error all along.

15. buck52

buck52 Banned

I have never been able to change the size of the window when it is in maximized mode... I believe you are confused... no offense intended...:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice